"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #741
Head Chef

How about a 3 ring binder... and each person adds a recipe they like?

Old 03-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #742
Master Chef

I would support the apron getting restarted (heck - I'm willing to buy a new one and start it, again) - with a few more rules this time.

1. You would have to sign up with a Mod/Admin with a varifiable email, postal address and telephone number. The Mods/Admins would then work out a schedule ...

2. A time limit on how long you have to pass the apron on. Maybe 7 days max?

3. When you get the apron, you sign it, have your photo taken wearing it, and post the recipe (hope it includes a photo of the finished dish, too) for a meal that you prepared while wearing it. That way, unlike a book, we can all share in it's progress.

4. Do we need 1 or do we need 4 (one for US, one for Canada, one for UK and one for other International users)? Shipping overseas can be expensive ... I'm a ham radio operator and I swap post cards with guys all over the world when I work their stations - I know that what cost me 65-cents to mail them a card may cost them $3.00 (US) or more to send one back to me ... so I know an apron would cost more.

Regardless of book or apron - we need to figure out a few things so that everyone who wants to participate can.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:46 AM   #743
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I vote for the traveling Admin We'll cook, I'll watch your kids while you go out to eat, we'll re-do kitchens - - - - - just don't ask how much it will cost to ship me!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:42 AM   #744
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I vote for the traveling Admin We'll cook, I'll watch your kids while you go out to eat, we'll re-do kitchens - - - - - just don't ask how much it will cost to ship me!
I won't worry about shipping. I'll just drive up and get you!

Barbara
Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #745
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I would support the apron getting restarted (heck - I'm willing to buy a new one and start it, again) - with a few more rules this time.

1. You would have to sign up with a Mod/Admin with a varifiable email, postal address and telephone number. The Mods/Admins would then work out a schedule ...

2. A time limit on how long you have to pass the apron on. Maybe 7 days max?

3. When you get the apron, you sign it, have your photo taken wearing it, and post the recipe (hope it includes a photo of the finished dish, too) for a meal that you prepared while wearing it. That way, unlike a book, we can all share in it's progress.

4. Do we need 1 or do we need 4 (one for US, one for Canada, one for UK and one for other International users)? Shipping overseas can be expensive ... I'm a ham radio operator and I swap post cards with guys all over the world when I work their stations - I know that what cost me 65-cents to mail them a card may cost them $3.00 (US) or more to send one back to me ... so I know an apron would cost more.

Regardless of book or apron - we need to figure out a few things so that everyone who wants to participate can.
Not that I see anything wrong with doing the above, but I do not think it would prevent what happened last time from happening again. We had the email address, phone number and even physical address of the person who took off with the apron. Writing and calling are not going to do any good if someone wants to do that again and going to their house is not a wise move either and just not worth it.

I will not be participating again because the whole experience left me very bitter, even though it was great while it lasted. I do hope that it does start up again for those willing to give it another shot or those that did not get to play the first time.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #746
Chef Extraordinaire

elfie, lol, the travelling admin is a good idea, but i was thinking more of a show where an apron and a mini-cam are shipped from registered member to member, and we'd record ourselves making a few dishes and signing the apron.

whaddya think?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #747
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
elfie, lol, the travelling admin is a good idea, but i was thinking more of a show where an apron and a mini-cam are shipped from registered member to member, and we'd record ourselves making a few dishes and signing the apron.

whaddya think?
Good idea bucky! The guy that spoiled this whole thing would have gotten a mini-cam on top of everything else too!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #748
Chef Extraordinaire

yeah, but we would have him on camera spoiling it...

umm, nevermind...lol.

i'm not talking about US doing it. i mean if foodtv did it as a show. the people who received the camera would be registered in some way, so that if anything goes wrong they would be held responsible.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:48 AM   #749
Master Chef

Why do a few bad a.... (you can fill in with the fruit that Eve picked or the other more descriptive bodily term) ruin it for everyone else???? Unfortunately, I never had a chance to participate and it infuriates me esp. when I learned that he was or is still alive and well. I can understand why the rest of you who did participate are so bitter about it. Maybe there can be some sort of resurrection and protective measures from it happening again.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #750
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Why do a few bad a.... (you can fill in with the fruit that Eve picked or the other more descriptive bodily term) ruin it for everyone else???? Unfortunately, I never had a chance to participate and it infuriates me esp. when I learned that he was or is still alive and well. I can understand why the rest of you who did participate are so bitter about it. Maybe there can be some sort of resurrection and protective measures from it happening again.
Yeah, that was what bothered some of us the most, that we were truly worried about him and went to a lot of trouble to find out if he was okay. Jkath and I actually had a little fun at a message board he frequents, trying to flush him out. Of course, when everyone there found out what we wanted him for, they started calling us every foul thing under the sun and defending him, but we accomplished our purpose (we didn't expect him to send the apron back) in letting him know that we all knew what he had done.

Barbara