"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Head Chef
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
Does anyone have any ideas on inexpensive reception decorations. Table center pieces, wall decorations etc. ? There is not much of a budget so I'm trying to see if there are thngs I can maybe make cheaper then renting or buying stuff. I was hoping DD would wait a little longer, but date is set and dress is ordered, so I guess there is no more hoping. Any help would be great.
I did an oscar party and dinner party using clear christmas balls/ornaments in a cylindrical vases. I removed the clips from the round balls & piled them into the vase/bowl. I used the clear balls/ornaments suspended on clear nylon thread, in graduated lengths, on the ceiling. The over all effect looked like glass floating bubbles. You might also try string curtains (look under wildthings on the web) for the walls. I used black string curtains as a window treatment in one room, & saw an entire window using white string curtains on Kimora's life in the Fab lane show. The black string curtains (as I recall) were used at the Academy Awards.

I bought my clear ball/ornaments on ebay, but you might find them in bulk at a christmas store. I also purchased grass (something or other - sorry the name escapes me - but it was under wedding decorations? on ebay). I used silver & white, & put them in very small vases. You can go with the colors of choice.

Floating candles is another way to go. Found a bunch of snowflake floating candles at a 99 cent store years ago. Check out 99 cent stores & christmas ornament stores that sell in bulk, for a better price.

BTW - I bought the clear glass christmas balls/ornaments to make mobiles, but never had the time to get to it.

*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
when my youngest grandson were getting ready for their wedding, they asked me to do the center pieces for each table at the reception. there were 12 tables for sit down dinner.

i cut circles from white satin fabric. hemmed. then hot
glued a pearl strand oneach one around the edge. you can buy pearl trim at joann's fabric.

when circles were done, placed on table with small fish bowls in the center with a single flower in each.

we did it for 1/4 of price at a wedding supply and that was only to rent.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
Certified Cake Maniac
One wedding I catered I helped with some of the decorating as well. Again cost was a factor. For the tables we bought vases at the dollar store (dollar each) and got napkins in the colours there too. We put a large unfolded napkin in the darker colour down first and centred a smaller one in the lighter colour on top. Then added the vase with a single gerbera daisy in the centre. You could use carnations, whatever matches and are inexpensive. Then they got cheap (35 cent) votive holders in the colours and put one in front of each table setting. The candles are cheap when bought in bags of 100 and while lit make a beautiful table decoration. The bride made stickers with their name and date on the bottom of the holders and they doubled as the giveaway. It was all very simple and elegant.
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to mikki
Thanks everyone, passed all the ideas onto my DD, hopefully she can decide on something so I can start buying material
mikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
Master Chef
Did you Google "wedding decorations"? You might get some great ideas that way.

You might also think about using some live plants for decoration. I used to use a lot of ferns in stands, palms and even blooming plants, to pretty up the party room. Since the wedding is in April, a lot will be available, and you and other family members can then use the plants on your porch or deck.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #16
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to mikki
constance, I googled yesterday and also got on ebay, found some floating oil candles that she loves, you can put colored oil in them. I hope that's a start, but she is changing her mind every other day. Told her thast if she expects me to help buy these things I need to do a little at a time. I can't afford everything in one shot.

mikki is offline   Reply With Quote