"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-05-2006, 04:21 AM   #21
Master Chef

I havn't walked in my sleep in many years, but I have done it. We moved every few years when I was a kid (and actually much of my adult life) and in those times of stress, I did sleep walk. If you are a loved one of a sleep-walker, just take them by the hand and take them back to bed. Wake them or not, it doesn't matter. Yes, it is scary to know you could be doing something you are totally unconscious of. Are you going through a stressful part of life? When I was up for a security clearance I was asked if I walked/talked in my sleep. I think I was honest, and still got the clearance. That was many years ago.

Talking in sleep is funny. I do it all the time. My husband tells me I spout gibberish -- can't understand a word I say. I have a sister who you can have an entire conversation with, then she'll come up with an answer that makes no sense at all and you'll realize she was asleep the entire time. I didn't understand what my husband was saying when he said he couldn't understand a word I say until I recently stayed with a freind in a hotel and she did it. As with everything else, every body is different.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:03 AM   #22
Master Chef

I have only done this once that I know of and I was probably about 8 or so. I figure I slept walk because I woke up sitting on a bean bag, in front of the tv in total darkness at around 4 in the morning. When I woke up, the first thought I had is why the cartoons were not on, the second one was how did I get out here in the first place? Very strange!

I have episodes of it now, but it is related to Ambien which I take from time to time to help me sleep. Hubby tells me I do all sorts of stuff and I don't remember any of it.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:08 AM   #23
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
I think I talk in my sleep sometimes. If you are in a true dream state you aren't supposed to be able to move (much) but I have awakened myself by shouting and even crying in my sleep (tears running down my face). Again, during times of stress.

Fraidy
Old 11-05-2006, 06:12 AM   #24
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
I have episodes of it now, but it is related to Ambien which I take from time to time to help me sleep. Hubby tells me I do all sorts of stuff and I don't remember any of it.
I take Valerian Root capsules or melatonin to help me sleep and both of them give me very vivid dreams. I remember them, but I don't get up and walk around anymore... at least I don't think I do. I live alone except for a cat and a small parrot and they aren't talking.

Fraidy
Old 11-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #25
Chief Eating Officer

As far as either my wife or I know, I did not leave the bed last night. Even though this was a bit disturbing, we have been laughing about it non stop since yesterday.

I had forgotten, until this thread, that I used to talk in my sleep all the time as a kid. I would talk complete nonsense, but it sounded like I really had something important to say. I had forgotten all about that.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #26
Sous Chef

GB - my son has sleepwalked for years..He is now 10 yrs old... He will also sit up in his sleep and start talking ... sometimes he will be acting out whatever he is talking about - for instance if he is dreaming about working on his bike he will actually turn his hands as if he had a tool in them - scary to see....I have woke him up and nothing bad happened - I have to be carefull though..One time abt 2 years ago I woke up and felt cold air - Had a sliding patio door - it was open - went to close and there was my son asleep.... he was half outside in the snow and half inside the house...blocked and locked door because that really shook me up!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Wow GB, I just found this thread... it would totally freak me out if something like this happened to me. I talk in my sleep(or let out some undistinguishable slur while I strain myself to articulate in my dream), or even laugh in my sleep quite often, but sleepwalking never happened to me.
One of Cristiano's good friends is an accomplished sleep anyalist/psychologist. When I get a chance I will ask him for some advice.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
GB, I feel for you! I know exactly how you are feeling. Are you taking any new medications, vitamins, supplements, anything? The reason why I ask is because my recent sleepwalking was linked to some herbal rememdies I was taking.

I started sleep walking in March, ironically enough, shortly after I started taking valerian root. Like FraidKnot, I had very vivid dreams but was getting up to go to the bathroom without remembering it - DH told me and I suspected it when I did not awake with a full bladder. Anyways, I only took the valerian root for a couple of weeks but the waking to go potty without me remembering continued. AT the end of July I started taking St. John's Wart for stress. The nightly potty breaks continued but things got worse, I was moving furniture around, acting like I was playing with my son and talking to him, even wandering the house - going downstairs to the kitchen and even further into the basement! DH videotaped me - very scary. DH travels and I got scared that I would wander in the kids bedrooms. Sure enough, it happened - I didn't hurt them, just tucked them in, but still, it is very scary. I went to the doc the next day and he was baffled (just what you want to hear from your doc) and amused at my video! Anyways, he suggested I stop the St. Johns Wart. I was ready for a CT scan and the works but he wanted to try this first, I was just convinced I had a brain tumor! While waiting for the St. Johns Wart to get out of my system doc suggested I lay off my nightcap of whiskey - voila! - The sleepwalking stopped! The supplements are out of my body, I am back to my nightcap and all is well. Later my doctor told me that those types of supplements as well as some anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds like prozac have been linked to sleepwalking. I have always had my nightcaps and have even taken prozac way back when and never had this reaction - his response - things have changed and you have changed. Oh well, I hope this was helpful and I hope you can find an end to the sleepwalking, it is a disturbing feeling.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Licia. I would LOVE to hear what Cristiano's friend has to say!

MM I have not been taking any vitamins or supplements or anything else. None of my normal habits have changed at all. My wife seems to think that I am under more stress than I am admitting and my body is showing it in other ways. I do not think she is right, but she could be I suppose.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Gb are you currently taking any prescription drugs ?
If so sleepwalking CAN be sleepwalking. It has happened
to my mom. She would get up get something to eat,
drink some tea and have an incoherant conversation
with me. The next morning she had no recollection of
that happening. Once she got off the meds she stopped.
My sister too was a sleepwalker at a very young age but
she outgrew it.