"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 03-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Master Chef
What do you cook/eat when you're sick?

Everyone in our house has one form or another of the flu right now! I want us to continue to eat healthy but nothing sounds good and DH and I just don't have the energy to do anything more than necessary so cooking a lot is out of the question right now.

What do you eat/make when your family's sick? I'm hoping your ideas will sound good to us!

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Nothing interesting - Toast, broth and ginger ale - if they can keep it down, and maybe a little jello.

Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Chicken noodle soup, tea, soft boiled eggs, vanilla ice cream.

Feel better!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Master Chef
Chicken soup. Chicken soup. Chicken soup.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Head Chef
Yup, chicken soup. I like to add dumplings for stodge and comfort factor and starch energy to give sustainance to the soul while the protein from the chicken heals the body and the liquid sooths the throat and clears the sinuses.
Jello takes seconds to make and is easy to eat. Any nursery food, like sausages&mash with gravey and peas....nothing finicky and nothing too subtely in flavour, because you need to be able to taste it!
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Tea and toast. Chicken soup if we can manage it. Freezies for fever.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
it depends what the prob is mostly, but I`m an advocate also of the Chicken soup with plenty garlic and pepper.

drink plenty of liquids (like you`de try drink anything else!) and keep as Warm even HOT as possible.

hope it shifts for you all soon :)
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
depending on what's going on with the tummy, we do pretty light things..DH loves the soup his mom use to make, just chicken stock, tiny pastina and at the end whisk up some egg and slowly add to the simmering soup...Even the little ones love it...poached eggs on toast, I've found Livi, Carson and Cade like cinnamon sugar toast..It seems to spark the appetitie for them. Ethan, only wants room temp fluids and jello, when they start to feel a little better they all like egg custard or vanilla tapioca pudding..We also keep those elctrolyte pops you freeze and give them as often as they will take them...7-up room temp helps, they all like oatmeal, crackers, just nothing heavy with fats and seasonings til tummy settles and that red rossy cheek look they get with fever goes away.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Won Ton soup for me. You'd think the pork filling would be rough on the tummy but it isn't. At least for me, anyways.
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Master Chef
As a child, mom use to fix tomato soup when we were sick, amazingly enough it always seemed to work wonders in soothing childhood ills. I still do it today when I'm feeling sickly, or chicken soup.

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote