"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I tend to agree with you TL, although issuing temporary handicap placards would cause problems for many reasons. There are so many abuses of the placards as it is. Besides all that, there are no agency's or advocates for people with temporary handicaps.
Having been in the position to want them on more than one occasion, I have given it a lot of thought.

I think the permits should have an expiry date that is printed in 5 cm (2 inch) large letters. The doctor could issue it with a renewal date. It could be like a prescription: go to the pharmacy to pick it up. They would print it out for you with a unique number. They would charge you any fees that the government wants for such a placard.

When I had the sprained ankle, the doctor didn't want me to walk on it any more than absolutely necessary. No one else at my house drives.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I tend to agree with you TL, although issuing temporary handicap placards would cause problems for many reasons. There are so many abuses of the placards as it is. Besides all that, there are no agency's or advocates for people with temporary handicaps.
Here in Boston, we do have services for the temporary injuries. But by the time you are approved, you are all better. You are better off taking extended sick leave from work and hope for the best. We do have a program whereby you can purchase coupons for the local taxi in your part of Boston and you will get half off the fare. I have a friend in the building that does not have a car. He is healthy and qualifies for nothing except the coupons. I qualify for "The Ride." It is an extended service of our transit service for disabled and elderly people. It costs me $2.00 each way and I can go 35 miles outside of Boston. The price never changes. I can take a 'caretaker' with me for free. So I call The Ride and he is my caretaker. He has no way of getting his groceries home. With the coupons, it would still cost him $10 to get his groceries home. So off we go. He pays me $2.00 for half the trip and I pick up some stuff for myself while he does his shopping. The main purpose of the trip is to help him and being a good neighbor. And it saves him $8.00.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Having been in the position to want them on more than one occasion, I have given it a lot of thought.

I think the permits should have an expiry date that is printed in 5 cm (2 inch) large letters. The doctor could issue it with a renewal date. It could be like a prescription: go to the pharmacy to pick it up. They would print it out for you with a unique number. They would charge you any fees that the government wants for such a placard.

When I had the sprained ankle, the doctor didn't want me to walk on it any more than absolutely necessary. No one else at my house drives.
My placard does have an expiration date. And so does my application for "The Ride." I have to renew it every so many years with my doctor's approval. But I do like your idea of a Temporary one to be like a prescription.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #54
Executive Chef

People or groups of people that try to mess with others rights, because their ideas/beliefs are the right ones.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Two pet peeves about driving:

The guy/gal who thinks they are more important than the rest of us. You know the one. The traffic is backed up and they drive on the shoulder to get ahead, or they don't care that the sign says no U-turn, it doesn't apply to them, etc., etc.

The person who doesn't take driving seriously. You know, "I can text and drive with no problem." or "Alcohol doesn't impair my driving." Or "Who cares about turn signals?" etc., etc.

A friend of mine was killed on her motorcycle because the woman in the car in front of her wasn't paying attention to her driving. Five cars were involved in that collision as well as two motorcycles.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #56
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...The traffic is backed up and they drive on the shoulder to get ahead...

...then they expect you to let them cut back in line. I take great pleasure in not letting them.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #57
Senior Cook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...then they expect you to let them cut back in line. I take great pleasure in not letting them.
Where is the "thumbs up" button on this site?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #58
Executive Chef

Thanks for all the feedback

Appreciate all your feedback ...

Thanks again.

Margi.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #59
Sous Chef

As I just posted in another thread.....Waitstaff that asks "Is everything ok?"
When they should be asking "Can I bring you anything at this time?"
Old 03-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #60
Executive Chef

My pet peeve--and this is a pretty big one--is when they bring the main course before I'm finished eating my salad!

Or even worse, when they bring the salad and the main course at the same time. I hate that!!!

I have no idea why I'm this way but eating salad loses its attraction for me when I'm eating my main course. If the two come together then the salad is wasted.