"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Addie--are you the one who has posted about helping people with Medicare? I am trying to find out if Medicare would cover costs of a family member caring for a parent in MN and haven't been able to navigate my way through the paperwork. E-mail me if you are this guru.
Your parents got a thick book from Medicare. If you can't find it, call SS office and ask them to send a new one to YOU. There is a chapter in there about paying family members for home care. PF would know more. She deals all the time with Medicare on a professional basis. I think you have to be from an agency to qualify. I vagualy remember hearing that if you can prove that it was necessary for you to quit work in order to care for a parent or sick member of the family, you could get paid. You would need a doctor's letter on letterhead stating that you are needed in that position. That I know.

I don't have my book. I tossed it out since I don't have to worry about Medicare. All my needs are met by my medical plan. I sorry I can't be of more help. PF has gone to bed, but keep your eye open to see when she comes on tomorrow. She is back at work now that Shrek is on the mend.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

i really dislike the smell of people who died from eating food cooked in canola oil.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Addie. I thought you were the one helping others in your building re: these things. It is getting to the point where we (my brother and I) are giving up income to be in MN caring for our mom. I don't mind doing the care thing, but I have been having a hard time meeting ends meet because of it.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #94
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am not sure what Medicare pays for once the person is home and still needs nursing care. We haven't hit that part, yet. I only know what qualifies them once they hit the nursing home and THAT book is a 3 inch binder that changes almost every quarter.

I am sure that Addie is right in that you have to have documentation on the care you give and a Doctor's written authorization, not so sure about needing to be part of an agency. Get a hold of the MN SS for what they require. Here is the main Medicare site: Medicare | Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

I looked at the site for Medicare. From what I could gather and understand, you have to be licensed at minimum as a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant). The course is not a long one, but you do get a certificate at the end of the course. And they only pay for 60 days at a stretch. (I think) They do have provisions for long term care. But I really didnt understand what they were saying. And every where I looked they kept refering to an "agency" that provided the personnel. If your parents are covered by Medicaid (the State version of Medicare) the benefits are a bit looser. You would still have to be a CNA, but they usually recognize family members as caregivers and do not require that you be part of an agency. At least that is the way it is here in Massachusetts. You would have to contact Medicaid in MN to get the details. Each State is different.

I feel for you. I am fortunate. My kids are only seconds from me and if I need care, they are right there. My daughter had to take a lot of days off from work to take me to my appointments. That is the main reason I joined my present health plan. They provide all my needs right down to an aspirin at no coast to me or a family member. Good luck. I hope you find a solution.