"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Would you get a Cockapoo/miniature schnauzer mix?

My daughter's friend's dog had some puppies. They are a mix of cockapoo and mini-schnauzer. We read up on them and they seem pretty smart, obedient dogs that are good with kids. Any info or suggestions on getting a mixed breed puppy?

If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Sous Chef
I would definitly take one. Schnauzers are exceptional dogs. Extremely smart, great with kids, and loyal. As far as the Cockapoo side, don't really know much. It will stay small and will probably not shed much. Probably have to clip it though. I have a couple friends with Schnauzers and they won't ever have anything else they said.

As far as mixed breeds, a lot of people say take the best traits of both breeds and thats what kind of dog you'll end up with. Check this site out. Hybrid Dog, Designer Dog, Hybrid Dogs, Designer Dogs

Good luck!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown
jeninga75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Mixed breed dog's are great they tend to have less heatlh problems than the pure breds. Besides now you have a so called designer dog the pound is full of them Now you have a poo-schnau or a schnau-poo
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Mutts make great pets and are often given away, or perhaps the price of first shots.
I think it would be great for you to help the owner place these pups and take one in.
Of course, with a three way mix, you really can't pinpoint the temperament or looks, but I would bet some regular grooming will be necessary.

I just reread your post, where did you read up on them? Did the owner try to do an evaluation?
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
A mixed breed dog can have the best or the worst qualities of the breeds involved. You cannot assume that a cockapoo/schnauzer mix will have the good qualities of the schnauzer or the hair of a poodle, etc.

It could have the hair of a cockerr spaniel and be difficult to housebreak, as cockers sometimes are.

Go see the puppies and look for one that is friendly and active.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
I think to say that mixed breeds have fewer health issues holds over from when mixed breeds/mutts came from "the streets" (so to say). A dog on its own, scrounging, fending for itself, often doing without vaccinations, running in packs....... I guess you could say the strongest survive and end up mating. Just like their ancestors way back when.

A mixed puppy from a couple housepets is only going to be as healthy as both parents, just like your purebreds.

In my opinion
Old 04-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Cockers aren't hard to housetrain, Andy.
They just like to pee everywhere

They are definitely a breed known for submissive peeing well into adulthood
Old 04-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
Head Chef
I would take one, if you have the time and patience to housetrain a puppy. I bet they are SO darn cute.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
Head Chef
I am a go to the pound kinda person.

Yes, you have to look at the pooches and get a feel for them.

But you have to do the same with purebreds.

Always feel sorry for abandoned pups in the pound. Wish right now we could take one, but cannot.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I think I'd have to disagree about the schnauzers being great with kids. If you know how to properly educate and train your dog, then everything mentioned about loyalty and intelligence is true.

Whether or not they're trained well, they are loyal, but leaving that loyalty unchecked can result in aggression, either towards strangers or other dogs. Schnauzers are very proud dogs, and make a decent guard dog where noise is concerned. They're generally alert and naturally suspicious of anything out of the ordinary, and are always ready to bark. They are extremely intelligent dogs, so much that their intelligence can often be mistaken for stubborn-ness in a first time owner.

I don't want to scare you off of the breed; schnauzers are at worst my 2nd favorite small breed dog, but I would say if you've never been a dog owner you might think twice about getting one.

As for the poodle part, I have mixed opinions about them. They're another fiercely loyal dog, and almost all of the poodles I've met have been downright nasty because they were never socialized with people or other dogs. They're good to their owners/family, but noone else. On the other hand, a couple of the properly trained poodles I've met have been quite charming.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote