"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 01-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Cook

Exclamation Links not working

I'm having a lot of problems using any links to get around in the forum. I get e-mail notifications of new messages in threads I'm subscribed to, and clicking on the links to those messages from the e-mail always generates an error message like this one:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: print_portal_output() in /home/cooking/public_html/forums/includes/functions.php on line 4284

And within the forum, clicking on the arrow that is supposed to take you to the most recent message in a thread generates the same error message.

This is the only vBulletin forum I visit that has this problem. I think there is something wrong with the links being generated for "new post", "last post", etc.

This is a "new post" link from one of your e-mail notifications:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...-new-post.html

This is a "new post" link that actually works, from one of the other vBulletin forums I frequent:

Appointment Reminder Software (Win) - desktoppublishingforum

Hm ... in fact it's working so well it's automatically converting itself to a hidden link and I can't figure out how to prevent that happening, so you'll have to hover your mouse over it to see what the actual URL is.

I can't be the only one who is having this problem, can I? If so, let me know that I've fallen into the Twilight Zone. If not, could someone who is vBulletin savvy please fix this? Thanks!

Old 01-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
I'm having a lot of problems using any links to get around in the forum. I get e-mail notifications of new messages in threads I'm subscribed to, and clicking on the links to those messages from the e-mail always generates an error message like this one:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: print_portal_output() in /home/cooking/public_html/forums/includes/functions.php on line 4284

And within the forum, clicking on the arrow that is supposed to take you to the most recent message in a thread generates the same error message.

This is the only vBulletin forum I visit that has this problem. I think there is something wrong with the links being generated for "new post", "last post", etc.

This is a "new post" link from one of your e-mail notifications:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...-new-post.html

This is a "new post" link that actually works, from one of the other vBulletin forums I frequent:

Appointment Reminder Software (Win) - desktoppublishingforum

Hm ... in fact it's working so well it's automatically converting itself to a hidden link and I can't figure out how to prevent that happening, so you'll have to hover your mouse over it to see what the actual URL is.

I can't be the only one who is having this problem, can I? If so, let me know that I've fallen into the Twilight Zone. If not, could someone who is vBulletin savvy please fix this? Thanks!
No, you're not. I posted the "fatal error" problem on a thread a few days ago. But for the past couple days, it seems to have been corrected, at least for me.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
No, you're not. I posted the "fatal error" problem on a thread a few days ago. But for the past couple days, it seems to have been corrected, at least for me.
Oh, you're so lucky. I've never had it go away. I got it just now, as always, when clicking on the link to your reply. Sigh. I edited the URL, deleting the "-new-post" bit and that took me to my own message (the beginning of the thread) but it's annoying to have to do that.... There are a few other things about this board that do not behave the same way as other vB boards, but this is the only one that really annoys me as it impacts me multiple times per day. Anyway, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. I did a search to see if anyone had posted about the same issue but couldn't find any - search only works if you know what words someone else used to describe the same problem!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I spoke too soon, it seems. I'm now getting that frightening "fatal error" message again when I either click on a link in a DC e-mail or when I click on that little arrow that's supposed to take me to the last post in a thread.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You both need to use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page on the last dark blue line. That's the best way to report a problem to the proper department - in this case, the technical department. Just explain the best you can what is happening.

Thanks.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
Cook

OK, thanks!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_evo99
Speaking of links not working... does anyone else have the problem of the link in the e-mail you get not taking you to the actual new post? I always end up somewhere in the middle of the thread instead of the post that generated the e-mail.

Here's the link I get: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...-new-post.html
Old 02-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I believe it takes you to the actual new post - not just the thread. Now there could be a couple posts after that.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:56 AM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I believe it takes you to the actual new post - not just the thread. Now there could be a couple posts after that.
Not for me. I'm still getting a page with this error message:

I followed your advice to use report the problem via the Contact Us link.

I received this e-mail:

Quote:
Franca,
This has been fixed. Please try again and let me know if you continue to have problems.

Regards,
Ben

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: CBP-671561
Department: Technical Support
Priority: Low
I e-mailed him back, as instructed, to let him know the problem was not fixed for me and I never heard another word.

I'm sorry to be a grouch but the other vBulletin forums I frequent are pretty much rock solid - vBulletin is great forum software and really works well if the folks managing it would just take the time to run the problems down and fix them. This forum is a real mess, navigation-wise. Don't get me wrong; I love this forum but I'd like it to be easy to use, not annoying. It's a good thing the participants are so nice and the discussions so good, otherwise I wouldn't be back. I waste a lot of time trying to get around in here.

What do you suggest I do now? It's really frustrating how many different links are broken in this forum. I only reported two of them because I didn't want to overwhelm the folks behind the scenes, but those are not the only two types of links that don't work properly. I know how the links are supposed to behave because they work in every other vBulletin forum I've ever visited, and in the two vB forums I moderate broken stuff like this gets fixed ASAP, usually within 24 hours. This has been going on here ever since I joined.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:24 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
In the two vB forums I moderate broken stuff like this gets fixed ASAP, usually within 24 hours. This has been going on here ever since I joined.
I'm sure that the technical staff for this site don't mess around.

As for your comment about navigating the site I agree it needs to be changed.