"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

Kind of like you say pork slices and I say cutlets
Exactly! What the he** are we talking about??
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Actually there is a Chrome OS.
Phhhhttththt!! Darn technology, changing every day! No wonder people are confused! I'll shut up now.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #33
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 7,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Actually there is a Chrome OS.
Yay, thanks bakechef! I wasn't completely dumb GG! I know Himself has Ubuntu on the old tower connected to the TV. But he still uses Chrome for his browser.

I guess the "chubby" (because there is no "skinny" in THIS house!) is that my ASUS notebook has Windows for its OS and the browsers installed are IE (of course), Firefox, and Chrome. I use Chrome mostly because it remembers more of what I've done than I do.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #34
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Yay, thanks bakechef! I wasn't completely dumb GG! I know Himself has Ubuntu on the old tower connected to the TV. But he still uses Chrome for his browser.

I guess the "chubby" (because there is no "skinny" in THIS house!) is that my ASUS notebook has Windows for its OS and the browsers installed are IE (of course), Firefox, and Chrome. I use Chrome mostly because it remembers more of what I've done than I do.
I use chrome because it's not only fast, but the same browser across all of my devices, tablet, phone, and laptop. No matter which device I am on, the browser auto completes the same, all of the bookmarks are the same, and if I forgot the name of a website that I was at, I can go to the history on any device and look it up. I like saving a bookmark on my phone and having it automatically on my laptop, and tablet too!
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I use chrome because it's not only fast, but the same browser across all of my devices, tablet, phone, and laptop. No matter which device I am on, the browser auto completes the same, all of the bookmarks are the same, and if I forgot the name of a website that I was at, I can go to the history on any device and look it up. I like saving a bookmark on my phone and having it automatically on my laptop, and tablet too!
I use Firefox for the same reason!
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #36
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

I use Firefox for the same reason!
I like Firefox too, chrome just made this effortless, so I stuck with that. I may give Firefox for android a try.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #37
Senior Cook
 
Kitchen Barbarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 160
Firefox with Xmarks takes care of synchronizing my bookmarks. I tried the built in FF bookmark synchronization and it kept losing my bookmarks. It may be better now - but Xmarks works fine AND keeps all my bookmarks archived back for a couple of years, or more, which has come in handy on a couple of occasions.
__________________
Kitchen Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #38
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 7,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I use chrome because it's not only fast, but the same browser across all of my devices, tablet, phone, and laptop. No matter which device I am on, the browser auto completes the same, all of the bookmarks are the same, and if I forgot the name of a website that I was at, I can go to the history on any device and look it up. I like saving a bookmark on my phone and having it automatically on my laptop, and tablet too!
I found this out the semi-hard way. My old trusty laptop, Elise, crashed. Apparently Gateway had issues with the computer kinda starting but displaying nothing - affording you no useable computer. *sigh* When he couldn't revive Elise I panicked because ALL my links to ALL our upcoming vacations plans were...in there! Slowly, quietly, he got Squirt out, powered her up, and said "sign in to google". I did, opened a page, and.......VOILA! A smaller version of what I had been seeing on Elise. Vacation saved!

When I moved over from Firefox to Google FF didn't have that feature (that I know of). Since I'm not good with change (do you hear me Yahoo? ) I stick with what I know most recently. Some dogs just don't want to learn new tricks.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I found this out the semi-hard way. My old trusty laptop, Elise, crashed. Apparently Gateway had issues with the computer kinda starting but displaying nothing - affording you no useable computer. *sigh* When he couldn't revive Elise I panicked because ALL my links to ALL our upcoming vacations plans were...in there! Slowly, quietly, he got Squirt out, powered her up, and said "sign in to google". I did, opened a page, and.......VOILA! A smaller version of what I had been seeing on Elise. Vacation saved!

When I moved over from Firefox to Google FF didn't have that feature (that I know of). Since I'm not good with change (do you hear me Yahoo? ) I stick with what I know most recently. Some dogs just don't want to learn new tricks.
Here's an easy, very worthwhile trick: Use an online backup service like Backblaze. It backs up every change constantly so you don't have to worry about losing anything. I have decades of photos on my computer, among other things. I've been digitizing all kinds of things to keep the paperwork flow down, and if my hard drive dies, I will still have them.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #40
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 7,928
You're talking "Tech" GG. I'll pass this on to Himself. He SHOULD know this kind of stuff with all of his decades in IT. Probably just one more thing he lets slide...until the spit hits the fan.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.