"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 06-24-2006, 03:58 AM   #1
Head Chef

Post Linking

On the FAQ page of this site under "Are there any special codes/tags..." there is a link to "more information about vB code". There under "Post Linking" it says:
Quote:
The [post] tag allows you to link to posts by specifying the post id. You can include an optional parameter to 'name' your link.Usage[post]postid[/post]
[post=postid]value[/post] Example Usagehttp://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?p=269302
Click Me!
(Note: The threadid/postid is just an example and may not link to a valid thread/post.) Example Outputhttp://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?p=269302#post269302
Click Me!
My question is, Where do I find the postid?
The original question I was looking for in the FAQ was, I know how to link to a thread. How do I link to a specific post within a thread?
Thanks for your help.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker

My question is, Where do I find the postid?
The original question I was looking for in the FAQ was, I know how to link to a thread. How do I link to a specific post within a thread?
Thanks for your help.
You can find that in the address bar of the thread. The numbers represent the postid.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
You can find that in the address bar of the thread. The numbers represent the postid.

MJ Thanks for reply. Please try to be patient with me 'cause I'm not too sharp.
When I'm in a thread and scroll up and down to read the various posts, the address bar in my browser doesn't change. I thought that I might be able to click on the thread number in the upper right of the post box, and then use the post number in the newly opened window, but that seemed to work very erratically. In fact it usually seemed to link to a completely different thread.
Also when I said in my post I knew how to link to a thread not a post I didn't realize that I was using a [url] tag to do it. I guess I don't understand the syntax of either the [thread] tag or the [post] tag.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
MJ Thanks for reply. Please try to be patient with me 'cause I'm not too sharp.
When I'm in a thread and scroll up and down to read the various posts the address bar in my browser doesn't change. I thought that I might be able to click on the thread number in the upper right of the post box, and then get use the post number in the newly opened window, but that seemed to work very erratically. In fact it usually seemed to link to a completely different thread.
Also when I said in my post I knew how to link to a thread not a post I didn't realize that I was using a [url] tag to do it. I guess I don't understand the syntax of either the [thread] tag or the [post] tag.
Post Linking

Single Post

You mean like that?

Sometimes things don't work like they should around here.

Feel free to practice in this thread if you want.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
Head Chef

MJ, That works and is, as far as I can see, the same as linking to the URL of the page that opens when you click on # in the upper right. Not the same as code or tags (I'm a littly hazy on which is which) described in the quoted vB section of the FAQ, but it works and thats good enough for me.

Thanks again.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Thanks for the info.