"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 08-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Greek Fig Spoon Sweet Preserves

Buonasera, Good Evening,

Spoon sweets are a historical Asian Indian tradition which had started IN Greece, under the reign of Alexander The Great. At that time, sugar cost a fortune, and was called Indian Salt. The Greek Military had gone to India to obtain their own sugar cane to create their own sweets. In the 10th century, the Moorish tribes had brought sugar cane to the island of Crete, and later, to Sicilia and Andalusia, Mallorca and Levante, on the Iberian Peninsula. It wasn´t until the discovery of the Americas 1492, that Europeans had brought sugar cane to the Caribbean ( Cuba, Puerto Rico, San Salvador, & The Dominican Republic ) and later in 1515, Mexico.

Greek Fig Spoon Sweet Preserves

*** photo courtesy: Hellenic Ministry of Tourism and Foreign Trade ( see in Post 2 below )

500 grams of jar-red figs
1 ounce or 30 ml. Brandy of choice
1/2 lemon zest

1. drain the figs well and reserve the syrup, and quarter the figs.

In a small bowl, combine the brandy, syrup and grated lemon zest.

2. add the figs back to the syrup and serve cold yogurt garnished with the figs in the brandy flavored syrup

*** This can be made from fresh figs.

Enjoy, Margi.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Photos of Greek Spoon Sweets

Photo Courtesy: Hellenic Tourism and Foreign Trade Ministry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DULCES DE GRECIA.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	15368   Click image for larger version

Name:	DULCES DE GRECIA 1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	15369  

Old 08-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Yummy
I have prepared my fig marmelade and caramelised fig spoon sweet, I also have some figs frozen so I can make my pizzas and mezedes during the winter.

Figs have many health benefits as they are a source of calcium and promote bone density.
I also have heard that figs regulate blood pressure, cholesterol, protect against heart disease.
the immune system has benefits from this fruit, so it is anti-cancer.

my caramelized fig spoon sweet recipe is not Greek but Croatian

2 kilos fresh figs, washed and peeled

1 kg.sugar

1 lemon

Wash, peel of the green skin from the figs...place them in a big 5 liter pot, slice the lemon and put it with the figs, pour the sugar on the top, cover the pot and leave it over night.

in the morning when you uncover the pot you will see the sugar has melted and looks like a water.
put it on the stove, bring it to a boil and then simmer on very low temperature for 12 hours or untill the syrup is thick like honey.

no need to stir, just lift the pot and shake it every hour.

When the sweet ready pour it in sterilised jars, turn them uside down for 10 minutes. Store them in a dry dark and cold place.

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Margi, thank you for the recipe and the photos look amazing
Old 08-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvlaki View Post
I have prepared my fig marmelade and caramelised fig spoon sweet, I also have some figs frozen so I can make my pizzas and mezedes during the winter.

Figs have many health benefits as they are a source of calcium and promote bone density.
I also have heard that figs regulate blood pressure, cholesterol, protect against heart disease.

1 kg.sugar

1 lemon

Wash, peel of the green skin from the figs...place them in a big 5 liter pot, slice the lemon and put it with the figs, pour the sugar on the top, cover the pot and leave it over night.

in the morning when you uncover the pot you will see the sugar has melted and looks like a water.
put it on the stove, bring it to a boil and then simmer on very low temperature for 12 hours or untill the syrup is thick like honey.

When the sweet ready pour it in sterilised jars, turn them uside down for 10 minutes. Store them in a dry dark and cold place.
S, thank you, this sounds delicious
Old 08-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Soulvaki & Kylie: Fresh Figs & Dried Figs

Firstly, I wish to thank Souvlaki for her classic recipe and I shall definitely be preparing her´s for the birthday party of my younger daughter on the 21st ...

Kylie, is always complimentary and thanks again for your lovely message.

Figs ...

Greek figs have been an important crop since time memorial ... All Greek figs to my knowledge are still hand picked and have been given a PDO, Protected Designation Origin.

About 1/3 of Greek Figs are wild, and / or privately owned.

I have encountered in our travels throughout Greece, that they are often prepared in Sykomaidha, a Fig Bread or halved and stuffed with almonds or wanuts and sprinkled with bay leaf and sesame seeds.

They are also kneaded into a paste with Ouzo, and / or Mastic Liquor, Grape Must, Walnuts, Spices, fennel seeds, and zest. Fig Pies are prepared throughout Greece, with handed down recipes, thus, all vary from one bar to one bar or one family to another.

Healthy ...

Figs are one of Greece´s oldest foods. Long before invention of pockets in clothing, figs served to be a lunch for travellers, field workers, shepherds, the poor, etcetra ...

They possess enormous quantities of energy boosting nutrients ...

Athletes gorged on them to give them extra added power and endurance without the addictive drugs or steroids.

Hannibal, packed figs and raisins to assist in providing food for his soldiers and elephants while battling with the Alps ... Both raisins and figs have been an essential part of these ancient civilizations. The Egyptians routinely uprooted their enemies trees and vines to quicken the surrender of their enemies ...

The 1st mention of Figs, was documented in the year 2.700 B.C. on Sumerian stone tablets, in an area that stretched from Iran to France.

There are 700 types of Figs ... They are highly perishable and that is why they are dried ...

Hope that you have enjoyed a little brief historical notation ...

Kind regards and thanks for the valuable feedback and contribution and of course the recipe too which I am going to try out Souvlaki.

All my best.
Margi.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvlaki View Post
Yummy

1 kg.sugar

1 lemon

Why did you pick the Croatian recipe Souvlaki?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Senior Cook

LOL Bolas,
i thought food had no nationality? just joking.

I came across this recipe, i liked the caramelised taste, sort of burnt sugar taste in this sweet.... so i am always preparing several jars.

I also prepare greek fig marmalade ;)

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Master Chef

Darn I wish we had figs here. Looks yum.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I ain't been down to the fig tree (it's too big to called a bush) since we lost my mother. I just ain't had the urge. My mother dearly loved figs, straight off the tree. I might stroll down there tomorrow and see if there is any left.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desserts, marmalade, recipe, sweet

Greek Fig Spoon Sweet Preserves Buonasera, Good Evening, Spoon sweets are a historical Asian Indian tradition which had started IN Greece, under the reign of Alexander The Great. At that time, sugar cost a fortune, and was called Indian Salt. The Greek Military had gone to India to obtain their own sugar cane to create their own sweets. In the 10th century, the Moorish tribes had brought sugar cane to the island of Crete, and later, to Sicilia and Andalusia, Mallorca and Levante, on the Iberian Peninsula. It wasn´t until the discovery of the Americas 1492, that Europeans had brought sugar cane to the Caribbean ( Cuba, Puerto Rico, San Salvador, & The Dominican Republic ) and later in 1515, Mexico. Greek Fig Spoon Sweet Preserves *** photo courtesy: Hellenic Ministry of Tourism and Foreign Trade ( see in Post 2 below ) 500 grams of jar-red figs 1 ounce or 30 ml. Brandy of choice 1/2 lemon zest 1. drain the figs well and reserve the syrup, and quarter the figs. In a small bowl, combine the brandy, syrup and grated lemon zest. 2. add the figs back to the syrup and serve cold yogurt garnished with the figs in the brandy flavored syrup *** This can be made from fresh figs. Enjoy, Margi. 3 stars 1 reviews