"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 08-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #11
Executive Chef

here's my TNT granola recipe

6 C. rolled oats
1 C. soy flour
1 C. wheat germ
1 C. sunflower seeds
1 C. sesame seeds
1 C. coconut, unsweetened
1 1/2 C. almonds
1/2 C. pecan meal, optional
1/4 C. nutritional yeast

3/4 C. oil
3/4 C. maple syrup/honey
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
1 t. almond wxtract
1 t. salt

In a sauce pan, heat the oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, almond extract and salt, until warm.

In a LARGE roasting pan, combine all dry ingredients. Pour over the warmed oil mixture. Stir to coat.

In a 250*F oven, place roasting pan of ingredients and heat for at least two hours, stirring about every 20 minutes.

Cool, add raisins or other dried fruit if desired. Package and freeze. This makes about 3 pounds of granola.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
here's my TNT granola recipe
6 C. rolled oats
1 C. soy flour gotta get this
1 C. wheat germ
1 C. sunflower seeds
1 C. sesame seeds
1 C. coconut, unsweetened
1 1/2 C. almonds
1/2 C. pecan meal, optional gotta get this
1/4 C. nutritional yeast probably get this in the health food store, right?

3/4 C. oil
3/4 C. maple syrup/honey
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
1 t. almond xtract
1 t. salt
[/quote]

In a sauce pan, heat the oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, almond extract and salt, until warm.

In a LARGE roasting pan, combine all dry ingredients. Pour over the warmed oil mixture. Stir to coat.

In a 250*F oven, place roasting pan of ingredients and heat for at least two hours, stirring about every 20 minutes.

Cool, add raisins or other dried fruit if desired. Package and freeze. This makes about 3 pounds of granola.[/quote]

I love the looks of this, thank you for sharing............and yep, the fruit will go in for sure

Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Lefses, the soy flour and nutritional yeast could be left out, if you just want to go ahead and try this recipe. And yes, the nutritional yeast can be found in health food stores. I get my pecan meal online from King Arthur Flour store.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to HushBull
Okay, I suppose mostly to your own taste, but this is how I make it.

Slurry-
Equal parts vegetable oil/honey
Lemon zest
A little fresh ground black pepper
Shot of vanilla extract
Cinnamon
A palm full of brown sugar
--Mix together, then drop a few bags of orange blossom tea in with it and heat, infuse on low till the kitchen is blooming with orange and cinnamon smell.

The bulk-
Rolled oats, steel cut oats, puffed brown rice, flax seed, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds, pecans (any nuts).

Mix slurry over the grains/seeds, spread on baking sheets... at 300 toast till light-golden brown, tossing and rotating mix every 6-8 minutes.

Once browned, remove from pans and allow to fully cool. Mix in whatever dried fruit you enjoy.

Sorry it isn't more precise... but it gives you some ideas.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HushBull View Post
Okay, I suppose mostly to your own taste, but this is how I make it.
Slurry-
Equal parts vegetable oil/honey
Lemon zest
A little fresh ground black pepper
Shot of vanilla extract
Cinnamon
A palm full of brown sugar
--Mix together, then drop a few bags of orange blossom tea in with it and heat, infuse on low till the kitchen is blooming with orange and cinnamon smell.
The bulk-
Rolled oats, steel cut oats, puffed brown rice, flax seed, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds, pecans (any nuts).
Mix slurry over the grains/seeds, spread on baking sheets... at 300 toast till light-golden brown, tossing and rotating mix every 6-8 minutes.
Once browned, remove from pans and allow to fully cool. Mix in whatever dried fruit you enjoy.
Sorry it isn't more precise... but it gives you some ideas.
Oh my gosh! Thank you thank you thank you. First a cuppla questions.....I started out reading this thinking, does this guy even know what recipe I'm asking for? Slurry? Tea? Puffed brown rice? Black pepper, in a granola recipe? What is puffed brown rice? How much honey/oil? 1/2 cup/2 T's? Rolled oats & steel cut oats, or just one type?
I have all but the steel cut ones cause I ate the last two weeks ago, but will buy more if you say both.
I am anxious to make this, sounds wonderful. I love the tea idea and guess what I have tons of? <---"those" tea bags, just the right flavor, I collect teas. YAH!
You are the bomb.com. Please help with my questions if you have time, again, thank you..............and welcome to Discuss cooking I think I note you're new-ish.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
Lefses, the soy flour and nutritional yeast could be left out, if you just want to go ahead and try this recipe. And yes, the nutritional yeast can be found in health food stores. I get my pecan meal online from King Arthur Flour store.
I bought the soy flour so now I can do it. I won't bother with the pecan meal, no need, I have pecans and I'll simply chop them in the Cuisinart.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:15 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
Oh my gosh! Thank you thank you thank you. First a cuppla questions.....I started out reading this thinking, does this guy even know what recipe I'm asking for? Slurry? Tea? Puffed brown rice? Black pepper, in a granola recipe? What is puffed brown rice? How much honey/oil? 1/2 cup/2 T's? Rolled oats & steel cut oats, or just one type?
I have all but the steel cut ones cause I ate the last two weeks ago, but will buy more if you say both.
I am anxious to make this, sounds wonderful. I love the tea idea and guess what I have tons of? <---"those" tea bags, just the right flavor, I collect teas. YAH!
You are the bomb.com. Please help with my questions if you have time, again, thank you..............and welcome to Discuss cooking I think I note you're new-ish.
Certainly, I will always try to answer any question I am able to.
Puffed wholegrain (brown) rice, like rice crispies, only puffier :p Cereal - Cereal, Puffed Brown Rice By Arrowhead Mills, 6 Oz, Item #120644
By slurry, I mean my liquid mixture.
Now, keep in mind, I make this in very large quantities at the coffeehouse I work at. I eyeball mainly, working more with ratios.
I would say for probably a home-type amount, 3/4 cup of honey and 3/4 a cup of oil (1:1.)
The black pepper, I like a 2-3 grinds. While your infusing the tea with the rest of the liquid, the black pepper will start to slowly meld in, providing a light and very mild spice. A sort of back of the throat warmth, makes it seem soothing and just plain good. Experiment with the teas, find one that really suits ya. I prefer the orange blossom, it goes well with the teaspoon or so of lemon zest.
Oh, also I use both rolled oats (for texture and general granola appeal) and steel cut (for a toasty/nutty flavor, texture as well).
All in all, experiment... this though is my general, standard recipe.
If I didn't answer things very well, let me know. I'll be glad to clarify more if I am able.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HushBull View Post
If I didn't answer things very well, let me know. I'll be glad to clarify more if I am able.
again, thank you.
I will get the steel cut oats today, two markets yesterday didn't have them. I know what that cereal is now that you showed me. Thank you, I'd have never thought of that. I think you're spot on with the tea you mentioned, will go well with the other flavors and again, I have it already in boxes. I'll report back probably later today or tomorrow.
Do I store it in zipper bags or a tupperware type sealed container? probably either would be okay. I did buy a new Seal a Meal yesterday so I have those bags or ways to store it too.
Thank you for getting back to me so soon.
Where do you work? You mentioned a cafe, where is it?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #19
Executive Chef

the day sort of got away from me while shopping and it's totally hot here so tomorrow morning before dentist apt [O G YEAH] I'll make it so it won't heat up the house.
footnote, I found the pecan meal by accident today at this store I couldn't walk by without going in
and TJ had the steel cut oats, so I'm set
Old 09-26-2008, 12:16 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
again, thank you.
I will get the steel cut oats today, two markets yesterday didn't have them. I know what that cereal is now that you showed me. Thank you, I'd have never thought of that. I think you're spot on with the tea you mentioned, will go well with the other flavors and again, I have it already in boxes. I'll report back probably later today or tomorrow.
Do I store it in zipper bags or a tupperware type sealed container? probably either would be okay. I did buy a new Seal a Meal yesterday so I have those bags or ways to store it too.
Thank you for getting back to me so soon.
Where do you work? You mentioned a cafe, where is it?
Anything airtight will do just fine.
I work at a funky little coffeehouse on campus of Arkansas State.
We serve a sandwich menu, as well as soups, quiche, desserts...
I run the kitchen and bake most of the stuffs.

Tags
None