"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 07-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

had a good peach for a snack a little while ago. i never buy more than two of any fruit, these days. chances of a bad one are better than a good one. two is not to many to throw away. produce buyers for market, need to do a better job.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
Executive Chef

last week i bought a basket of locally grown peaches, an early variety, known for its juiciness but not for its sweetness. they were so incredibly juicy that i had a difficult time slicing them without releasing large quantities of peach juice into my bowl. my aha moment came when i sprinkled a small amount of splenda over the peaches to add some sweetness. the splenda instantly melted into the peaches and juices, lending such a natural sweetness to the fruit that neither by look nor by taste, would anyone guess a sweetener was used. i then sprinkled the splenda on some beautiful blackberries that were a bit too bitter. wow, the berries absorbed the sweetness of the splenda and transformed into the sweetest and juiciest blackberries of memory. bye-bye sugar, heLLo splenda!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Head Chef

The local peaches (north Louisiana) have been really good the past few weeks. We have been buying them at the farmers market form a lady who picks them after they are ripe.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
last week i bought a basket of locally grown peaches, an early variety, known for its juiciness but not for its sweetness. they were so incredibly juicy that i had a difficult time slicing them without releasing large quantities of peach juice into my bowl. my aha moment came when i sprinkled a small amount of splenda over the peaches to add some sweetness. the splenda instantly melted into the peaches and juices, lending such a natural sweetness to the fruit that neither by look nor by taste, would anyone guess a sweetener was used. i then sprinkled the splenda on some beautiful blackberries that were a bit too bitter. wow, the berries absorbed the sweetness of the splenda and transformed into the sweetest and juiciest blackberries of memory. bye-bye sugar, heLLo splenda!

i am a splenda fan as well. diabetic means very low sugar. splenda does the trick for me.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
Head Chef

It is time to drive over to my favorite orchard!! I love the early cling peaches--they have the best flavor, but a very short season.

I actually had some GOOD strawberries last night--from WalMart, of all places. They were very flavorful and not crunchy, like most purchased strawberries. And only 89 cents a box!! Too bad I didn't buy several boxes.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #16
Head Chef

Right now it's tomatoes and berries, asparagus... oh YUM... Ontario produce from farm stands.. the tomatoes are to die for and I have been having a sliced up tomato with salt and pepper with my breakfest for a few days now!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
Master Chef

I recently picked up some peaches and blackberries. I sliced up the peaches, threw in the blackberries and sprinkled the whole thing with sugar. Of the 5 peaches I used, 2 were really ripe and sweet and the other 3 were not. But once they were mixed together and the sugar added, they came alive with peachiness and were so good! Now I want to go back to the market and get some more!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I recently picked up some peaches and blackberries. I sliced up the peaches, threw in the blackberries and sprinkled the whole thing with sugar. Of the 5 peaches I used, 2 were really ripe and sweet and the other 3 were not. But once they were mixed together and the sugar added, they came alive with peachiness and were so good! Now I want to go back to the market and get some more!
A squeeze of lemon with that really picks things up also.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
Right now it's tomatoes and berries, asparagus... oh YUM... Ontario produce from farm stands.. the tomatoes are to die for and I have been having a sliced up tomato with salt and pepper with my breakfest for a few days now!
you said it, saph! tomatoes. a tomato variety grown in virginia, "hanover" tomatoes, are in season right now. they are like the cadillac of tomatoes here. they are the reddest, juiciest, tastiest, tomatoiest of all tomatoes i have ever had the sublime pleasure of biting into. i too walk around with a tomato and salt shaker in my hand these days, and slice slabs of hanovers for breakfast, et al....
Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post

yess, more, you need more peaches, cantaloupe, berries, tomatoes--more! this is my mantra for july.... (i'm just sayin')

Tags
None