Pork Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
Had the butcher cut a butt in half, cooks faster and get more bark that way. Injected and rubbed; ready for the smoker.

img_516726_0_a8486bfe0b0e48a797fd83db461c4e53.jpg

img_516726_1_6946ab946e7854d20365d5cc3dbe8f51.jpg

img_516726_2_66ae8ea5c42166afbfd913c84e781753.jpg

Nine hours later they’re ready for a rest. After foiling I wrap them in newspaper in put into a cooler for at least one hour.

img_516726_3_c84734c1a770c9437d13ee37acf3c108.jpg

img_516726_4_d6703370954e5734cba039dbc974901c.jpg

Time to pull them. The bone should come out clean and easy.

img_516726_5_26299b52084dd44b62bf0f610172fa10.jpg

img_516726_6_8ed156c6d1e0e249b3df1b853efbbdf4.jpg

Pretty darn good pulled pork plate

img_516726_7_290ef8f9f68d946cf5e464f843ba1471.jpg
blue]

Did you leave the bone in on one or just pull it? With the shorter cook time did you notice it drying out at all having more exposed mass?

Take care,

Brian

Looks good from here John!
But I'm with Uncle Bob, what's up with the cooker, what wood did you use and what did you inject with?
Bark looks fantastic! (I try to hide that stuff).......

John...

Tell me about your cooker & the flavoring wood you used!
I can tell you that the cooker is a Smokin' Tex Electric smoker. They are AWESOME!! I tell my customers that the Smokin' Tex are the "crock pot" of smokers. My boss will go home at lunch pop a few chickens in it, set the temp, then come back to work. By the time she gets home Dinners Ready, and delicious!! It doesn't require much wood at all.

I also have the butcher cut the pork butt in 1/2 or 1/3's depending on the full size.. My wife and I LOVE the bark it makes, and it does cook way faster..

I never worry about the meat getting too dry just because the content of fat is usually so high.

Great pictures!

-Brad

Thank y’all for the gracious welcome.

As Renee Attili pointed out, it’s a Smoking Tex. I use it for beef & butts because it retains a lot of moisture thereby never drying foods. For Ribs & Fowl I use a Traeger and for steaks a Weber gasser.

I used a couple of ounces of Hickory wood chunks, theses things are sealed so well it’s easy to over smoke food if not careful.

Both pieces were bone in. I look for apple juice based basting sauces and inject a little just before smoking. If you try it do not inject too much as it can get mushy. I also sprinkle some of it as well as some rub on the butts while pulling.

I
john a said:
use it for beef & butts because it retains a lot of moisture thereby never drying foods. For Ribs & Fowl I use a Traeger and for steaks a Weber gasser.

Thanks John. I am familiar with Traegers, but I'm curious why you prefer it for Ribs & Fowl.
vs. in this case the Smoking Tex. I can see the challenge of not over smoking in the Smoking Tex, but I am just curious what your thoughts are...Thanks in advance!!

Hi Uncle Bob,

The Smokin Tex max’s out at 250º, between that and the humidity it makes for rubbery chicken skin. It does an ok job smoking ribs but they do not look nearly as good as those from the Traeger. As you know, presentation is half the battle.

Thanks John...It makes sense. I cook 99% of my chicken skinless, just a personal choice, so flabby skin is never an issue. I also understand the Traeger would/should/could be easier to control smoke, giving you a better looking product for presentation.

Keep up the good work!

Yeah, but brisket and pork come out GREAT in a Traeger, too! How come you don't use it for those cuts? Easier in the electric smoker?

Pork looked great, john!

Lee

Yeah, but brisket and pork come out GREAT in a Traeger, too! How come you don't use it for those cuts? Easier in the electric smoker?

Pork looked great, john!

Lee

Hi Lee,

The Traeger does a much better job on ribs and chicken than the Smokin Tex but I prefer the ST for butts and beef. It retains a great deal of humidity, is much easier to use, and can be left unattended for long periods of time.

Man that looks awesome! I have plans this year to re-do the patio and put in an outdoor kitchen, can't wait until I have a smoke up and running!

That Smokin Tex looks like a half-size version of the smoker we have at work. It's called a "Cook Shack", I believe, and has the same coil/smoke generator, same rack system, same mechanism to dog the door shut (but being bigger, has two "dogs"), etc.

That Smokin Tex looks like a half-size version of the smoker we have at work. It's called a "Cook Shack", I believe, and has the same coil/smoke generator, same rack system, same mechanism to dog the door shut (but being bigger, has two "dogs"), etc.

That's what it is Allen. Cookshack use to make the ST, they still make some with different names.

Man those pics look good!! Its like 4 degrees outside (nebraska) and I'm seriously thinking about brushing the snow off the smoker!!

Back
Top Bottom