"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Old 08-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by AllenMI
...I'd like to get a brisket and smoke it, but I'm not sure about ... what to do with ALL that meat...
I used to smoke brisket occasionally in my Brinkmann smoker. Instead of smoking the whole thing, I would cut it in half before applying my dry rub, and freeze one uncooked half.

A few months later I would thaw & cook the other half.

Curious fellow
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #12
Master Chef
You can always freeze the smoked meat in small packages to use later.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
When I smoke a pork butt I never use a rub or marinade - just salt, pepper, and coat with olive oil - about 1 hour or so before it's done I'll turn fat side down. I like just the smokey flavor then add more flavor through sauces.

Then I make a vinegar based sauce and a tomato based sauce.

A friend of mine cooked a brisket for about 18 hours with no mop, just a rub. After the 18 hours it had this wonderful, hard crust and you opened it up and it was falling apart tender and steamy hot - and about a 1 1/2" smoke ring yum!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #14
Master Chef
Allen - I've smoked chuck roasts and they turn out great ... just remember to smoke 'em low and slow, like you would in an oven.

Brisket generally isn't very expensive (around some holidays you can catch it for 79-cents a pound) - but it can be a large piece of meat (6-10 lbs) depending on how it is trimmed. It really doesn't take any more effort to smoke a whole brisket than it does a half. Just smoke a whole one and freeze any leftovers. On Labor Day weekend my son and I will probably smoke 4-5 (depending on size) and freeze whatever we can't eat in a day or two.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:37 PM   #15
Senior Cook
A topic that seems well covered but here is 2 cents worth. Pork butts are actually the shoulder of the animal hence all the connective tissue and fat. The equivalent cut of beef would be (who woulda thunk it?) CHUCK! Let me know how it turns out and I may throw one on myself!
"The odds of my being correct on any given issue are inversely proportionate to the proximity of my wife" BubbaGourmet
BubbaGourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:12 PM   #16
Executive Chef
I just salt and pepper my roast then rub yellow mustard all over it. Works great.
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:11 PM   #17
Executive Chef
That's correct Bubba. When we make beef bbq, we use the chuck.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:41 PM   #18
Senior Cook
Arrow mmmmm...Smoked Meat

My family and I smoke alot of different kinds of food. Even when it comes to meat, we smoke beef, poultry, lamb, and buffalo. The week before last we smoked a tender roast using hickory chips. This week we did some turkey breast also with the hickory chips. My vote is you can pretty much put any kind of meat in the smoker and it will come out tasteing good.
Marishka_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #19
Head Chef
DH is really into smoking food since we got a Bradley smoker. We've been in hot pursuit of the perfect pulled pork and the Butt roast is the best. After about 3 hours on the smoker he covered it with foil and put it on the Grill until it reached 190 degrees - nirvanna! And the rootbeer sauce rates a 10 on our scale. I suspect because of the ginger taste it would be as good on beef!

This is the sort of stuff cooks (and eaters) can get addicted to, though!

I found Pork Butt roasts at our local UGA store for a very good price - bet they also have chuck or brisket for a much better price than a regular grocery store. I freeze half of what a buy for the next time. Thanks to a Seal a Meal we enjoy pulled pork all year 'round!
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:54 AM   #20
Executive Chef
Linda, try taking it to 200-205.

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote