"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScouter21
I am currently a scout looking to purchase a couple of chuckboxes. (The big boxes you store all your cooking equip. in, just in case anyone didn't know). I have hear of stainless steel, or aluminum ones compared to the traditional wood ones. Does anyone know a good website I could go to find some stanless steel or aluminum chuckboxes for a reasonable price?

Thanks so much
Superscouter21
Welcome to DC SuperScouter...
I've never heard of the stainless or aluminum ones. Maybe a google search will turn up something. The aluminum sounds interesting depending on what guage it is.. It might alot lighter...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #52
Master Chef

Have you searched ebay? You pretty much can find anything there...you may have to modify your search on the site and break it down to certain trigger words. Seems to me I do recall seeing those things as a little girl. If you find one can you please post a pic.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Superscout21, you might find what you seek here: Cabela's -- Camp Kitchens
Old 08-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #54
Assistant Cook

I always bring along my cast iron dutch ovens if I'm driving to the site. It always seems that camping trips center around the camp cook. I guess food tastes better cooked on a fire. Does any one here use a chuckbox to keep all their kitchen and cooking supplies together? I couldn't funtion without mine.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #55
Cook

I bring my Coleman stove, but for actual CAMPFIRE cooking, I use tin foil, and as was suggested earlier, throw away pans like aluminum pie plates from the dollar store. I also have a grate that has clips on it that you can make toast in, burgers, fish, ANYTHING, really. You just place what you are cooking in it, close and attach the clips. I also will sometimes bring extendible weiner forks. The are telescopic and help with keeping your eyebrows intact because they keep you at a safe distance from the fire. I try to minimize what I bring on my canoe trips because, of course, you carry everything you pack with you, so I pick and choose my meals and essentials before a canoe trip.

I find a good idea is to pre-mix scrambled eggs and put them in a polycarbonate water bottle. On my last canoe trip I pre-made an omelette, put it in the bottle and stuck it in the cooler. It was much easier than bringing whole eggs and risking them all breaking.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #56
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00nwater View Post
I find a good idea is to pre-mix scrambled eggs and put them in a polycarbonate water bottle. On my last canoe trip I pre-made an omelette, put it in the bottle and stuck it in the cooler. It was much easier than bringing whole eggs and risking them all breaking.
That is such a cool idea!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #57
Cook

Thanks. I thought it was pretty darn genius, too LOL
Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #58
Head Chef

For camp cooking, Aluminum foil--heavy weight and disposable aluminum pans. Quite often I cook in the pans, double thick and set them right on the coals. Wrapped tightly with foil, you can get some seriously great meal...
Old 09-27-2007, 10:30 AM   #59
Cook

I bring a coat-hanger and no food that can't be stuck on the end of it and hung over a fire.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I reckon I will see if I can take some photos of our cooking set up at our Rendezvous which will be at the end of Oct.
Been cooking over the campfire for nigh on to twenty years. It is mighty hard to beat.
Specially bacon cooking, first thing in the morning.