"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
Cook

Anyone have a great pumpkin pie recipe?

Would anyone have a great pumpkin pie recipe for my friend Liz? I'm not too keen on pumpkin myself except in soup, and I can't really help her.
I've looked through all my books and, believe it or not, not a trace of pumpkin pie in any of them...

Old 10-10-2003, 06:27 PM   #2
Senior Cook

For more years than I care to remember, my BW has used the recipe on Libby's 100% Pumpkin can, and everyone has always found her pie delicious.

Of course, she uses homegrown pumpkin, prepared the day after Halloeen from, you guessed it - her jack-O-lanterns. For the crust, she gets fabulous results using the Wesson Oil Stir-and Roll recipe - I and others try it and get carboard. Use any good crust recipe.

If trying that method (which is easy but time consuming), the pumpkins must be prepared the morning after, as mold grows in cut pumpkin at an alaarming rate. Simply xchop the pumpkin into good sixed chunks, pare off the dark orange rind, and boil until very tender. Then drain very thoroughly in a collander and mash (a food processor works great). Place in pie-sized amounts in sip-loc bags and freeze until ready to use.

Tip on "punkun Pie" - the flavor develops more fully the next day, and the texture becomes more firm. The way I like it.

Tags
None