"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 04-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Short Crust Pastry advice

Its a simple thing to make, but for me its downright impossible. I have tried many times and have given up.
Ive even asked our local baker to make me a batch and he did. I took it home,rolled it out, used it and baked it..............it came out awful.
Ive used frozen pastry, still no luck.

I would love to make pastry as i could make so many pastry related dishes.

so is it cos my hands are always hot? I tried the no touch method, no luck there.
Am i doomed to be a non pastry maker?
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find out why.
This message wont self destruct in 20 seconds

Old 04-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Master Chef

In order to tell you why, you need to tell us how you make it now and what is wrong about it

Old 04-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Head Chef

Hot hands don't help! I think the main problem is often over working the pastry. I often find lightly pressing pastry, with my perfect for pasty cold hands, lol, into a dish for a base rather thal rolling it works better, and a rolled top is ever so lightly rolled. The shape it rests in in the fridge can help this. And fat. I like butter, and I have used shortening with good results, but the fact of the matter is the recipes with less fat give a pastry that is never as "short" as it should be.

There are some wonderful bakers here, I agree with Jennyema, if you post a recip you like the look of, try it and tell us where its going wrong someone will be ble to help.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

thanks peeps. Well i dont mind starting at the very beginning. say jam tarts.
Then i could attempt pies couldnt i?

I gave up trying years ago but from what i remember, i used the standard ingredients, measured carefully, everything cold or cool, mixed in a blender and turned out, wrapped and put it fridge.
After awhile take out and roll, but it falls to pieces. piece together what i can and bake that. Its just like a 2year old made it.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Head Chef

My shortest pastry is crumbly, just very gently finger together.

NB: I make jam tarts with a sweet shortcrust even pate sucree proper. I used to make them for young music students who came after school and needed a sugar rush to keep them going :) and the pate sucree won hands down on their taste tests. Funnily enough the sweet pastry seems to work as well as a good buttery short pastry, instead of butterily cradling the jam it balances the sweetness. I'm for jam tarts full stop, but try a batch of each pastry...compare!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Head Chef

(Add the salt to the flour before you begin) When you are cutting your fat into the flour, cut it until it resembles tiny peas or cornmeal. You can put this into another bowl to check for flour in the bottom of the bowl that has not been cut into the flour. Instead of pouring the tablespoons of water into this, put the measured water into a spray bottle. Lightly spray the top and stir this through. Repeat until you get the doughy ball. I like to use a brown paper grocery bag for rolling. You just cut off the bottom and then cut open one side so that it folds out. Sift enough flour over the paper to coat. Place your dough in the center and using your palm, press it down slightly so that you can roll it. Dust your rolling pin with flour and sift a little flour over the dough. Roll from the middle of the dough just a few inches at a time in all directions to start the circle. Don't press to hard. Do not add more flour to the dough rather dust your rolling pin if it gets sticky. Continue rolling from the middle toward all directions until it is the desired thickness. The edges will be raggedy but you have to trim those. When you are finished, just roll up the paper and throw it away.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
So, is a shortcrust what a North American would call a pie crust?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
Everymom

taxlady, this thread is REALLY old. From the content I'm going to guess that short crust does indeed mean pie crust.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:25 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
taxlady, this thread is REALLY old. From the content I'm going to guess that short crust does indeed mean pie crust.
I found this forum because I Googled "quark" and there was a fabulous looking recipe for a German cheesecake that uses a "shortcrust". I searched the forum for shortcrust and got this thread and that recipe.

Should I have just started a new thread?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:10 AM   #10
Master Chef

Site Moderator

You might get some more replies that way and even some specific recipes if you as in a new thread.

Tags
None