"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Senior Cook

AnnieD - multiple grinders are your friend! cumin/coriander grinder, sweet spices grinder, 2 for pepper only, one for cardamon only...I don't have one for sugar, but I buy my confectioner's sugar, and my ground coffee, LOL.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
AnnieD - multiple grinders are your friend! cumin/coriander grinder, sweet spices grinder, 2 for pepper only, one for cardamon only...I don't have one for sugar, but I buy my confectioner's sugar, and my ground coffee, LOL.
Well, that's what I thought. Definitely use a separate grinder for sugar. Or just go buy some!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Don't be discouraged MyNyssa. You can make your own powdered sugar in a blender or food processor. It only takes a few minutes to turn granulated sugar into powdered sugar. Here's an easy recipe for buttercream frosting:

• 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and vanilla till light in color. Blend in the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk, and continue mixing until light and fluffy.
I have tried doing this and no matter how much I processed the sugar it did not become smooth like powdered sugar. The end result was always very grainy. And I processed like a maniac.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I usually pay $1.49 for a 2 pound bag at Aldi's; $.99 if they have overbought for the holidays. As long as it is reasonably well stored powdered sugar lasts forever. 7 Minute frosting for when I am unexpectedly out; real powdered sugar for buttercream.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #15
Head Chef

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. It's not exactly powdered sugar but I've used it before to make frosting. The commercial brands do have cornstarch in them but I wouldn't put any in when using it for frosting. I have a couple of coffee grinders and I use one just for sugar.

Here's a video I found for you:

Old 02-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Blenders can be cheap, and washable, and useful for other things. If you're going to be crushing ice, I'd recommend a glass container, otherwise, plastic is fine.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Basic Buttercream

500g (box) of Icing/confectioners sugar
250g of softened/room temp butter
1 tsp of vanilla extract

Using an electric mixer. (best results)

Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.

Add vanilla, and combine.

Add sugar around a cup at a time, beating well between each addition. Once all the sugar has been incorporated, beat until stiff. Too watery. add some more sugar until the desired consitency is reached. Too stiff. Add very small amounts of milk. literally a teaspoon at a time, beating until it's the right consistency.

I can honestly say that this recipe has never failed me. I've added things like coconut milk and lime to make tangy icing for lime and coconut cupcakes. Cocoa, lemon, banana, all sorts of stuff.

You just have to compensate for the change in consistency, when you add any liquid to it. Mmmmm!!

Hope this helps. I've just joined, so apologies if you've already got everything sorted.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:53 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

MyNyssa:
I feel your pain! The exact same thing happened to me the other day when I tried to make frosting--I ended up with a soupy mess. For me, the key ingredient really was the powdered sugar, like others here have already said. As soon as I used powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar, my frosting was perfect.
Don't worry, you're not alone...you can read my very own embarrassing frosting story.

leighbakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
homemade, other