"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO the most beautiful pineapple upside down cake in the world

I have made pineapple upside down cake several times and really appreciate the contrast of the sweet in the brown sugar and pineapple with the sour in the pineapple. I make a tasty cake but still have trouble making it beautiful. I would like it to be picture perfect, a kind of signature dessert for me. I find the Chinese people especially like this cake, more than others. I usually put pecans in the middle of the pineapple rings and also put a red maraschino cherry in the middle as well. I have tried wax paper and the cake easily comes out of the pan but then I usually destroy the cake trying to get the wax paper off of the cake Is a thinner cake better than a thicker cake for this? Would putting the pan in ice help? or boiling water? Should I put the cherry in after baking? but then the taste would be different...

Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

To easily remove the cake from the pan, you have to do it while it's still warm. If you let it cool, the sugars harden. No wax paper. The cherries are baked with the cake.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
To easily remove the cake from the pan, you have to do it while it's still warm. If you let it cool, the sugars harden. No wax paper. The cherries are baked with the cake.
I agree with Andy, I flip mine about 5 minutes after it comes out of the oven. If you have waited too long and it is sticking try setting the pan over the stove burner for a few seconds to melt the sugar. I always serve this cake with sweetened whipped heavy cream to cover up any mistakes.

I make mine in a 9 inch cast iron skillet and it usually comes out clean. I just run a knife around the edge of the pan and flip it over onto the plate.

If you continue to have problems try using a spring form pan. You should be able to run a knife around the outside, flip the pan onto the plate and then release the sides of the pan. This would allow you to carefully scrape any of the topping off that is sticking to the bottom plate of the pan while slowly lifting it off.

The important thing is to keep making them!
Old 06-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

No wax paper. If you feel you must have something there to set the rings and sugar on, parchment paper only. I have made this cake in my 10" aluminum restaurant saute pan and a springform pan. I prefer the saute pan. After years of use, it requires no pregreasing. And it has a handle to assist for flipping. A CI is too heavy for me to lift. So I don't even own one anymore.

Place a piece of parchment paper. Lay down your sugar, place the rings and put cherry in center of each ring, then gently pour cake batter over them. The cake should come out perfectly if flipped and removed while still warm.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Master Chef

Addie, Andie, and the rest are spot on. No paper required. Lightly grease the cake pan, put down the brown sugar, pineapple, cherries, and nuts. Pour in the batter, gently. Bake until the cake is done. Remove to a serving plate/platter while still warm.

I use a rectangular pan to bake my cake in. I then cut stiff cardboard as the serving plate, and cover it with foil. The cake fits, and it's disposable, and strong.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Another suggestion is to cut the pineapple rings in half. This means more bites fo fruit per slice and cutting a piece out is less destructive to the pretty cake top overall.

If you do have a topping disaster when you turn the cake out, reconstruct the pineapple and topping the best you can and then do some touch up work with some melted orange marmalade and a pastry brush.

Name:   pineapplecake.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  25.8 KB
Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Another suggestion is to cut the pineapple rings in half. This means more bites fo fruit per slice and cutting a piece out is less destructive to the pretty cake top overall.

If you do have a topping disaster when you turn the cake out, reconstruct the pineapple and topping the best you can and then do some touch up work with some melted orange marmalade and a pastry brush.

Attachment 18154
Mabe some maple syrup.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Flip it out while it still very warm. I would leave the nuts out of the pineapple ring centers using just the cherries. Janet's pattern looks perfect and yummy.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I like that half rings idea. It will go into my bag of tricks. I seem to have noticed a pineapple piece on the side. How did you get it to stick there?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I will try the quick flip...only the pan I use is pretty thin metal - will try flipping it after 2 minutes...though I do want the molten sugar to have time to run down into the cake

Tags
cake, pineapple