"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 12-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Oven temperature for cakes

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this and I hope that if it is not, a moderator can be so kind to move it to the right forum.

As I am Norwegian, I am used to electrical stoves (right term?). But I live in Brazil now, and we have a gas stove. And it is a HUGE difference.

The gas stove only heats from the under side as opposed to the electrical one where I have been used to both heating over/under and a small fan that distribute the hot air.

I am very tempted to install a small fan in the stove we have now to at least circulate the air. When I make a cake, it is way too easy to burn it on the underside, so I have come up with a workaround. I place the cakedish on a small metal stand on a flat baking tray so it is protected from the direct heat from the underside.

This takes care of the burning of the bottom of the cake. But it is difficult to get consistent results as it is impossible to control the heat in any exact way. Do anyone know of a good termometer to install in a gas stove, and where to install it? Are there any "stove hackers" out there? I do not have a lot of money to put into this at the moment. If I had, I would buy a commercial grade stove with a fan. I guess that would help a lot...

We are thinking about building a new house, and I have total freedom to design the kitchen of my dreams. So I better start planning...

Oceanwatcher
Oceanwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

A properly functioning gas stoveis capable of maintaining set temperatures. If you are having the problems described, I'd say the stove is defective.

Baking on a rack in the middle of the oven should be all you need for even cooking. Cakes are usually cooked at 350 F (177 C).

If you buy an oven thermometer, place it on the rack where the cake would be or next to the cake pan on the rack.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Not so sure it is not functioning right. It maintains the temperature (probably), but how can you set a temperature? There is only the adjustment for the gas... A perfect temperature would need to be kept by a termometer that controls the gasflow.

Anyway - what we have now is a very cheap and extremely basic stove. I do not expect it to be perfect :-) But it is interesting to find out how people are handling the situation of not having any heat from above the cake.

Oceanwatcher
Old 12-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

The gas setting dial should maintain the temperature. It does so but lighting and turning off the oven burner according to thermostat readings inside the oven.

I suggested the stove may need service because you said cake bottoms were burning.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

The one we have is a lot more simple than that. There is a dial that operates the gas supply. You set it and that is where it stay. No temperature sensing. Like I said - VERY simple :-) So I do not have any idea what the temp is. I am guessing and sometimes things burn.

Oceanwatcher
Old 12-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

In that case, I am completely serious when I say, "Don't do any baking.".
Old 12-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

If that is the case, then I would suggest you get an oven thermometer and use it to get the oven to the right temperature before you put the cake in. Remember, as you open the door to check it will affect the temperature, but you should still be able to get it to hold the temp you want. If you can't find such a thermometer in Brazil, then see if someone you know stateside or in your home country can send you one.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Gas Mark

Would this help?

Gas Mark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
consistent, kitchen, oven, stove, temperature