"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Fastest Sherbet Ever

Hi everyone. This is more of a technique than a recipe. to make the fastest, smoothest fruit sherbert ever, you just nee a good blender, some milk, sweetener, and frozen fruit.

I keep my milk just above the freezing mark. That helps. I freeze bannanas, peaches, orange sections, apricots, strawberries, blueberries, etc. Add 1/4 cup of your favorite fruit, plus 1/2 of a frozen bannana to the blender. Add 3 tbs. sweetener (I use Stevia or Splenda), and 1/2 cup of cold milk. Turn the blender on its highest speed and let it go until the ingredients are silky smooth (about 30 seconds). The result will be a very soft sherbert. Pour/spoon into a suitable container and place into the freezer for a half hour, or eat fresh from the blender.

Of course, you can modify the flavors by adding various extracts, and flavorings if you choose. In any case, it's pretty tasty, and has a great texture. It's like a half-frozen smoothie.

For sorbet, use juice or water in place of the milk. Adjust the liquid to make your sherbert/sorbet as thick or thin as you like.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,899
Yum !! Thanks for that cool technique .. it will come in handy for sure !
__________________

__________________
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Yummy! Thank you, I don't have an ice cream maker so this will be perfect! It's really hot here at the moment.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,928
I have a question. When I was growing up, sherbert (usually orange or raspberry) was NOT made with milk. And yet these days I can not find one that isn't made with milk. Was I only dreaming that it didn't contain any milk or has the formula changed?
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I have a question. When I was growing up, sherbert (usually orange or raspberry) was NOT made with milk. And yet these days I can not find one that isn't made with milk. Was I only dreaming that it didn't contain any milk or has the formula changed?
I don't remember it having milk in either. You're right, it is hard to find sherbet without milk
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
I always though sherbet had milk on it, or some kind of dairy. I looked it up. Sorbet has no dairy. Sherbet has a bit of milkfat, whether by cream or milk, I don't know. Any way you look at it, I like it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I always though sherbet had milk on it, or some kind of dairy. I looked it up. Sorbet has no dairy. Sherbet has a bit of milkfat, whether by cream or milk, I don't know. Any way you look at it, I like it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

Thank you for clearing that up for me Chief I thought sherbet and sorbet were the same thing! We just call it sorbet in SA and sherbet is a tangy sweet powder that kids eat
Love your recipe by the way, made it for my kids today and they loved it!
And so did mommy
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Thank you for clearing that up for me Chief I thought sherbet and sorbet were the same thing! We just call it sorbet in SA and sherbet is a tangy sweet powder that kids eat
Love your recipe by the way, made it for my kids today and they loved it!
And so did mommy
Evidently, the name sherbet, means different things, depending on where you live. We used to have an effervescent product made from these little tablets called Fizzies. They were a Kool-Aid type drink, but with ingredients that mildly carbonated the water. The sweet, tangy powder, we call a Pixie-Stick (Brand name). In the British Isles, from what I could gather, these products are both called sherbet. As South Africa has had a strong history with Great Briton, I could see why it would be the same there. In any case, I like the blender sherbet. It's so quick and easy. It can give you brain freeze if drank to fast.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
We used to have an effervescent product made from these little tablets called Fizzies.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Oh Chief, I just loved Fizzies! A fantastic memory of growing up as a child in Michigan! I wonder what ever happened to them.

My blender makes treats like you are describing quite often.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Evidently, the name sherbet, means different things, depending on where you live. We used to have an effervescent product made from these little tablets called Fizzies. They were a Kool-Aid type drink, but with ingredients that mildly carbonated the water. The sweet, tangy powder, we call a Pixie-Stick (Brand name). In the British Isles, from what I could gather, these products are both called sherbet. As South Africa has had a strong history with Great Briton, I could see why it would be the same there. In any case, I like the blender sherbet. It's so quick and easy. It can give you brain freeze if drank to fast.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Our sherbet powder is fizzy, same as the British kind.
Your sherbet was very good We would call it a frozen smoothie in SA.
Strange how one thing can have so many names in different countries!
__________________

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.