Spumoni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianMorin

Senior Cook
I hope I am spelling this right; does anyone here, know how to make spumoni (bit if a silly question, as I'm sure there are dozens of members that do - well at least six)

Thanks and take care... :chef:

you are spelling the name of one of my favorite ice creams correctly. Hope someone comes along with a recipe cuz I don't have one but I do have an ice cream maker.

Food makes me excited. Just saying/spelling spumoni right I get shivers... :chef:

I'm sure it won't take long.

mish said:
Mmmmm, Spumoni! Don't have a made-from-scratch recipe Bri, but this one looks yummy. (I won't tell anyone it's not homemade, if you won't :LOL: ):

http://www.haagen-dazs.com/ferded.do?name=182

These spumoni cake recipes have me intrigued:

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m1121F03.htm#4

Both recipes look good, but I particularly liked the Häagen-Dazs recipe. All I have to do is make my own ice-cream. It may take a week to make this recipe, but it's mostly waiting, it's not like hard work...

Thanks

I've started my project for spumoni. It's not like grabing your grocery list and heading off to the gocery store. For instance I can't get pistachio of any quality around here. Since I live in norther Québec I have to drive south to Montréal. Well actually my friend (my wife Suzanne) goes in to Montréal once a week and can pick up little things here and there that I can't got out in the sticks here (I'm not complaining, I love clean fresh air). Plus I have to make the ices in 1 liter batches, that will take a few days of juggling time etc.

I just have a Question: I was thinking of blending my ingredients in a food processer with a whipping attachement, on low (5-6) or something like that. Is there anyone who has had experiance with this method? :cool:

BreezyCooking said:
Wasn't that those wonderful chocolate/vanilla/strawberry combos of ice cream I remember from childhod?

I think that is neopolitan ice cream, which has similar esthetics. I believe the difference to be that spumoni has chocolate, cherry and pistachio.

It's nice ro remember your childhood through ice cream... :-p

Take care

BreezyCooking said:
Wasn't that those wonderful chocolate/vanilla/strawberry combos of ice cream I remember from childhod?

Actually, that reminds me of neopolitan ice cream. Spumoni, as I recall has pistachio, chocolate, cherries, etc. and I think a hint of rum might be close to the authentic. I think the crushed ameretti cookie would give it a nice zing. Two good ice cream desserts - but very different in taste and composition. Another Italian dessert I recall growing up was, I think, called Tortoni (sp) - vanilla ice cream and a crunchy topping.

Last edited:
That is neapolitan, aka in my childhood as Van-Choc-Straw.

Spumoni is a much lovelier spin on that trio.

Can't wait to hear how this turns out, Brian.

I haven't thought about spumoni ice cream in a long time. Now, I will have to visit my local Italian store and get some. It is really my favorite ice cream!!!!

Thanks, I think.:D

mish said:
Actually, that reminds me of neopolitan ice cream. Spumoni, as I recall has pistachio, chocolate, cherries, etc. and I think a hint of rum might be close to the authentic. I think the crushed ameretti cookie would give it a nice zing. Two good ice cream desserts - but very different in taste and composition. Another Italian dessert I recall growing up was, I think, called Tortoni (sp) - vanilla ice cream and a crunchy topping.

Thanks for mentioning the rum and reminding me about the ameretti cookies. I will have to make the cookies. :chef:

Take care

Essie said:
I haven't thought about spumoni ice cream in a long time. Now, I will have to visit my local Italian store and get some. It is really my favorite ice cream!!!!

Thanks, I think.:D

Were something tight so you can't eat too much... :chef:

mudbug said:
That is neapolitan, aka in my childhood as Van-Choc-Straw.

Spumoni is a much lovelier spin on that trio.

Can't wait to hear how this turns out, Brian.

I'm very excited about this little adventure I have taken on. I will keep in touch. It is even more exciting as the warm weather is starting to roll in... :-p :LOL: :cool:

Somebody on DC has a signature that says something like; you have to go back to God if you want to do it from scratch. I didn’t put quote marks on it because it was paraphrased. Well, I didn’t go all the way back to God, but I’m getting pretty close.

For starters, I am making the pistachio ice cream. I had to find a decent recipe and convert it to a 1-liter size. Well I have found what looks to be a decent recipe, my friend Satya (wife), went to the big city (Montréal) and picked up some pistachio nuts, in the shell. It’s amazing, when you start shelling pistachio nuts, that it seems you end up with more shells than nut meat…

So I’m shelling the pistachio today and if I have a chance I will start the liquid mix. Here is a peak at the recipe for the pistachio ice cream, which I will modify, as needed, for my needs. I will keep you posted on the abridged version as I go along:

PISTACHIO ICE CREAM

1 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
4 large egg yolks
1 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup unsalted shelled pistachios, toasted, coarsely chopped

Finely grind 1 cup pistachios and 1/4 cup sugar in processor. Bring milk and ground pistachio mixture to boil in heavy large saucepan. Remove from heat. Mix in almond extract.
Whisk egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Return custard to saucepan. Cook over low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes (do not boil). Strain into large bowl. Chill until cold, about 2 hours.

Stir 1 cup whipping cream and chopped pistachios into custard. Process mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to container and freeze. (Ice cream can be prepared 3 days ahead.)

Makes 3.5 cups.

Bon Appétit, January 1999
From the epicurious.com web site.

BreezyCooking said:

In Germany it's called Fuerst-Pueckler-Eiscreme and I think I have some in my freezer... I have the feeling, I must look for it immediately...:cool:

cara said:
In Germany it's called Fuerst-Pueckler-Eiscreme and I think I have some in my freezer... I have the feeling, I must look for it immediately...:cool:

One of the benefits of this group is to remind us of the important things we have lying about in the freezer . :chef:

Back
Top Bottom