"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Beef Heart

Any one here ever cooked one?

I got one from my dear father at thanksgiving. it is in my freezer.

Google recipes seem mainly either make soup, or shish kabob it.

Dear Spouse is going out of town next weekend and would never eat heart, so I,m "Batching" it on my own and figure now is my chance to cook something wierd!

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
Head Chef

I have done it Peruvian style which I like. But do not over cook it.

Anticuchos de Corazon by powerplantop, on Flickr

Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Sous Chef

For anyone who's ever tried to replicate a Michigan Coney Island hot dog, beef heart is the key. I've seen recipes containing everything from hamburger & tomato sauce to ground up hot dogs. There are no hamburger, tomatoes, or hot dogs in coney sauce. Beef heart is the taste that you are looking for.

Giggler, make all of the Michigan transplants in Austin happy - make some coney sauce.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Wine Guy

Beef heart is good, but it's a tough muscle and needs some braising time in order to become tender. A couple of years ago I cooked heart for the first time and made a stew with it. It came out great.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Master Chef

We used to cut them up and dredge them in seasoned flour, brown them, transfer them to a casserole with with a can of tomatoes and sliced onions. Cook low and slow for a couple of hours for a sort of Swiss steak.

We also had them stuffed with bread stuffing, browned in hot grease and cooked low and slow in the oven surrounded by carrots and onions, sort of like a pot roast.

You could also stuff them and simmer them in a Sunday gravy for a couple of hours, sort of like a braciole.

Can't find them in my area anymore.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Master Chef

I haven't cooked one in many years. I remember slicing it very thin, pounding the heck out of it and soaking it in buttermilk overnight I think. Then it was treated like chicken fried steak...flour, egg, flour and fried. The pan gravy was great, and the flavor spectacular.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek won't eat heart, so I haven't had it in a long time. Mom always did a low and slow with tomatoes or in the pressure cooker, chunked for a stew.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

The last couple of times I cooked beef heart was in the slow-cooker, with kidneys and some prepared oxtail sauce. Made the most delicious beef & kidney pie filling.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Sous Chef

It's wonderful and best cooked really slow. Cube it after removing sinews and treat like a cut of braising beef. Add onions, carrots and mixed dried herbs. Don't forget to make lashings of mashed potato to soak up the rich and delicious gravy. While the cat's away etc.!!

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
Master Chef

Beef heart is a well used muscle. As such, it receives a rich supply of blood, making it a very flavorful cut of beef. That same exercise also can result in a tough piece of meat. The last heart I cooked was cubed, and cooked in the slow cooker for a few hours. I then added carrot, potato, onion, salt, garlic, and a bit of celery to the pot. I cooked that until it was done, made a brown roux of flour and butter, then added that to the pot to thicken the juices into gravy. I served it up at a church pot luck, not letting anyone know that the meat was beef heart. I was asked numerous times how I was able to get such well flavored, tender beef. I finally told everyone that it was beef heart. After that announcement, some were not as happy with the stew as they had been.

Heart is wonderful if cooked properly. I'd braise it, or pressure cook it, then add it to whatever dish you like. It has great flavor.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef