"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-02-2006, 10:55 PM   #11
Senior Cook

i have a pretty good recipe.....

This recipe is my own. I pretty much came up with it. My ex live in chicago all her life and she loves mine chicago style beef sandwiches. We had resteruants that opened around my area called "Chicago style" and mine kill it. It is pretty simple too. One thing i would never use is a crock pot. I Just don't think it taste good.

OK this is what i do. I get a relatively lean beef roast 4-6 pounds. I puncture the meat all over and insert garlic cloves in it. I sear it on all sides in a skillet with oil and season with salt and pepper.

I then take a flat dish and pur about 2-3 cans of beef broth/stock in it. You can either add a dark beer or not. Sometimes i do sometimes i don't. I then add oregeno, salt, pepper, and italian seasonings. Cook this in the oven uncovered at a relatively low temperature (250). Cook the meat till it has an internal temperature of 135-140. I don't know exactly how long this takes because i just use a electic meat thermometer that is in the meat the entire cooking time. You want the meat to be medium rare. Do not go over this temperature or your meat will dry out. Now time to cool. Put the meat into the refrigerator after it cool with the juices. The next day heat the beef broth to where its just slightly warm (do not boil this will overcook the meat). Slice the meat very thin with a meat slicer and throw it in the warm beef broth and let it warm threw (5) minutes. Serve on crusty rolls with either Gardeniera or sliced cherry peppers. My ex used to dip her sandwich in the broth. I like mine dry because i think it makes if fall apart. But i think you will agree this is one of the best italian subs you can get anywhere.

Common mistakes:
Trying to slice the meat before its cooled. If you do this the meat will fall apart. I like my sliced thin like authentic sandwiches. If you like it shredded then go ahead.

Overcooking the meat - it will curl especially if you overcook it in the beef broth and it will be rubbery.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:16 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks everybody. Here's what I did.

Thanks everybody for your replys. Here's what I did:

I seasoned up a top round roast really good with Italian seasoning and some extra oregano, salt, pepper and garlic and roasted it to medium rare.

Roasting was against my better judgement but that's what the recipe I used said to do.

After the roast cooled down I sliced it as thin as I could and marinated the slices overnight in beef stock. Real beef stock not from a can or box!

The next day I made up the sandwich on a baguette with the heated up beef slices and some roasted red peppers and used the stock as a dip.

It was really good but not that exceptional in my opinion. Maybe I just had the sandwich built up in my mind beyond it's capabilities. Or maybe I should just order the real stuff from Chicago and see if I was even close.

Thanks again,

Old 12-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I say go for it - you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Mine is similar to Michele's but I use a jar of hot 'n sweet pepper rings and a rump roast or other "pot" roast cut of beef. Cook on low for 8-12 hours, pull the meat. Served on a hoagie roll with a slice of cheese, all wrapped in foil and heated in the oven to melt the cheese. I don't know it as "Chicago Italian beef" but it sounds like it might be.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:07 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayco
Thanks everybody for your replys. Here's what I did:

I seasoned up a top round roast really good with Italian seasoning and some extra oregano, salt, pepper and garlic and roasted it to medium rare.

Roasting was against my better judgement but that's what the recipe I used said to do.

After the roast cooled down I sliced it as thin as I could and marinated the slices overnight in beef stock. Real beef stock not from a can or box!

The next day I made up the sandwich on a baguette with the heated up beef slices and some roasted red peppers and used the stock as a dip.

It was really good but not that exceptional in my opinion. Maybe I just had the sandwich built up in my mind beyond it's capabilities. Or maybe I should just order the real stuff from Chicago and see if I was even close.

Thanks again,
Jayco,
all I can say is you really need to try an original. They will meet you're original expectations. I believe the secret is in the au jus gravy..... I am originally from Chicago and even ordering on the internet isn't the same as getting one in Chicago. I hope you get a chance to try one.
Carol

Tags
None