"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
Head Chef

Another thought... What kind of pan/cookware (wok, skillet), & oil are you using?

Get your mise en place (chopped veggies, sliced protein etc.), & be ready to go. The whole process should take 10 minutes or less.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
This is from Wiki:
<snip>
"Because the muscle fibers run the entire length of this cut, the meat can be tough if not tenderized via pounding or massaging. Scoring, stabbing, cutting, penetrating, or otherwise mutilating the cut ..."
Mutilating? Criminy, some Wikipedia editor needs to get on the stick and fix that!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
London Broil is not a cut of beef.

It is a method of preparation for a tough cut of meat, usually round steak or flank steak. It's marinated, grilled or broiled till just mid-rare and then sliced thinly against the grain.

Therein lies the problem: whatever your store is selling you is a tough piece of meat before you cook it.

The easiest thing to do is buy a more tender cut of beef.

But all the other suggestions are good ones.
In New Jersey also London Broil is a tough cut of meat best used for a braise or it is tough than shoe leather.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Mutilating? Criminy, some Wikipedia editor needs to get on the stick and fix that!
You could be a Wikipedia editor. All you have to do is fill in the form to get an account.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You could be a Wikipedia editor. All you have to do is fill in the form to get an account.
It's even easier than that. Just edit it. You don't need an account.

Help:Editing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've edited articles on occasion, but only when I feel the article is in one of my areas of expertise, and only when I'm sufficiently motivated.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
It's even easier than that. Just edit it. You don't need an account.

Help:Editing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've edited articles on occasion, but only when I feel the article is in one of my areas of expertise, and only when I'm sufficiently motivated.
I didn't realize that. I have always signed in to edit. I thought I remembered that I had to sign in to see all the tabs.

But, you are right. I clicked edit, while not signed in, and got the following message, "You are not currently logged in. If you save any edits, your IP address will be recorded publicly in this page's edit history. If you create an account, you can conceal your IP address and be provided with many other benefits."
Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Wikipedia is a pretty interesting project, and I'm amazed and impressed at what has been accomplished. Any change can be instantly reversed, even without signing in, and can be as easily unreversed too (also without signing in). Articles can be locked (by Wikipedia) when controversy causes malicious mischief and reversal wars. Anybody logged in can add notification to an article and be notified by email if the article has been edited.

I presume there must be some sort of Wikipedia "police" and a system where those with accounts can be locked out of editing, and likewise for IP addresses sourcing malicious edits locked out. Yet as far as I know (or at least what I can see) most edits are well intended, and mischief and vandalism are uncommon. I've never seen a vandalized article although I've heard of a few.

I've even reverted (reversed) edits a time or two, when I Googled information and found it missing, and IMO the editor deleted the information for whatever reason that I didn't agree with. I don't recall what they were and I never checked back to see if my reverting was reversed. I think I've edited a few grammar or spelling errors on occasion...

I don't consider Wikipedia to be an authoritative source (particularly since I'm one of the editors!) but it's a pretty good background source for general information and you can always check the source or do your own research using authoritative sources. Many Wikipedia articles have notations requesting authoritative sources for statements which may be dubious. Most articles feature numerous footnotes leading to authoritative sources.

I've edited a few articles that were related to my professional area of expertise. I've edited a few articles about authors and their writing when I was aware that their bibliography wasn't complete due to new releases.

I think everybody should have a look at it and maybe edit an article if you see an obvious error or omission. Maybe even adopt a subject if it's in an area where you have special knowledge or expertise.

All in all Wikipedia is a pretty impressive project and a tribute to what volunteers can accomplish in public projects on the Internet.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
This all reminds me of when I was in college, and made stirfry for a friend. I had no clue as to what meat to use, got what I thought was a decent piece of beef. I cooked it all up, and it looked very nice. However, I noticed my friend was carefully picking out the meat and setting it aside. It too was tough as shoe leather.
too hard to CHOO then dawg......ok ok,i can take a hint, i'll go.....!!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Stir Fry Beef

Thank you so much for helping me. If you 0ont think London Broil is a good choice for Stir Fry, what would you use? I'm thinking skirt steak? Thanks again...Joyce
Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulsisels View Post
Thank you so much for helping me. If you 0ont think London Broil is a good choice for Stir Fry, what would you use? I'm thinking skirt steak? Thanks again...Joyce
Skirt steak is used for fajitas mostly. I use flank steak for stir fry sliced on bias, marinated and then fried. I have also use sirlion when I couldn't find flank.

Tags
beef, london broil thin sliced, other