"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-22-2005, 09:22 AM   #11
Master Chef

The vinegar does the same thing as the lemon juice...cuts that bloody smell.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:19 AM   #12
Cook

Ok Was it "Cryovac'ed"? Was it in a sealed plastic bag?...If yes then run it under cold running water and let it sit out in the air for about 10 minutes.. If it still smells bad then its gone a little gassy...it should still be good but will have an oder and taste slightly like the smell..Try to buy it one month before its sell by date "it would of just been cut" if you cannot then please shop somewhere else or get it fresh from a local butcher..

The smell and taste is normal for current ways of buying cryovac meat..Its not spoiled but its not the best way of getting it..If you gut it "fresh" in a tray pack or even from the butcher block then return it and never shop there again!! Fresh pork realy has almost NO Flavor (exept the liver wich is the beast thing in the world when fresh) Pork should be mild..Dont over cook and NEVER undercook..

With out knowing how you got it its hard to pin point the problem...

Tater Tot
(butcher since 19yr old)

Old 08-26-2005, 01:33 AM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
the date on meat also some grocers will rewrap meat and put a new use by date.
If yours does that then shop somewhere else!! that is against the law. If it comes with a date then thats it date. If your store dated it too short then they are out of luck they can't change it. If they over date it then it dosen't matter - they can be closed down.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:37 AM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwingen
friend of mine suggested soaking the meat in white vinager? what do you think?

also, you all mention the date on the meat. what am I looking for? a date that reflects past due? of a due date of the next day? what would be a good date?

yes, the meat was bloody. I washed it several times, but I remembered it was excessively bloody.
It probably was not blood - just meat juices. Look at it - was there was a lot (alot) of clearish pink liquid? It was probably a result of saline added to the pork. So there was a lot of liquid with the pork (most likly slimy)? Thats normal in todays pork tade - and if it sits too long or gets too hot it goes gassy....
Old 08-26-2005, 08:53 AM   #15
Cook

yes you are 100% correct. It was clear pinkish, and slimy.

What does "gassy" mean?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwingen
yes you are 100% correct. It was clear pinkish, and slimy.

What does "gassy" mean?
Tater Tot tried to answer your question but his ISP developed problems and his reply didn't post ... and he hasn't had time to get on and try again. But, he did call me and talked to me about this in the hope that I could pass the info on to you. So, here goes with my short interpretation of what he had to say in about a 30-minute conversation.

As meat goes through the process of decomposing it produces gasses, such as methane and amonia. When the meat is wrapped in plactic and held at temperatures below freezing the gasses are trapped inside and the meat will "pick up" those flavors and smells. The higher the storage temp, and the longer stored, the worse it will be. Although all meat goes through this process it seems that chicken and pork are worse about picking up these off flavors than beef.

One example he gave me, that I could relate to, is when you buy a "chub" (tube) of ground beef or pork sausage and it sits unopened in the fridge for a week .... when you pick up the tube it is tighter and harder than when I bought it ... the gas is blowing it up like a balloon.

His suggestion for your problem was to first wash the meat off with cold water after opening it, and then let it sit in the open air for 10-20 minutes to let the gassy smell go away. If it's a persistent problem - shop somewhere else or, if it's a certain brand, try a different brand.

Hope this gives you a general idea ... and I didn't leave out too much of what he said.

Tags
None