ISO: Veal Avocado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bridgett

Assistant Cook
My favourite Italian Restaurant used to make the most beautiful avocado veal dish with a peppery white sauce, avocado slices and melted cheese. But now its gone!!!! If anyone has anything along these lines to share, i would be very appreciative.

Happy Wednesday

Bridgett - a Veal Avocado dish sound delicious. I don't have any receipes for that but I am sure our chefs and cooks have some.

I will check for receipes from everone on the site and print them out and put them in my large 3 ring binder.

Jill and Jolie

It was delicious! Last night i believe i replicated the white sauce, which was the dish's cornerstone, i think.

I made a traditional bechamel sauce 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp flour and 1 cup of milk - then when it had thickened i added about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of white wine (i used chardonnay because that is what was open, and it worked quite nicely) and cracked pepper to taste.

If i remember correctly, the dish could be made by placing sliced avocado over the cooked veal (cooked in a pan with pepper and garlic), then a little thinly sliced cheese (not too much - the dish is so flavoursome a lot of cheese would kill it) under a hot crill to melt rather quickly, then pour the sauce all over.

Its a shame i can't go back and compare my attempted replica to the real deal - but as far as my memory goes it's pretty close.

Sounds good to me, but just about anything with avocado does.

One thing -- avocado doesn't heat particularly well, so I think it would be important to melt the cheese quickly and get it away from the heat ASAP.

This is correct - i think that's why it's good to have the grill really hot - less time under the heat. I always toss avocatoes through lemon or lime juice before putting them in a salad to slow the oxidisation process - i haven't tried it when exposing the avocado to heat but it could work.

Back
Top Bottom