"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 08-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I am thinking I know what dish is next for the funny looking stove top slow cooker.

Thanks Harry.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I wish I could get lean lamb here. I made a lamb shoulder on sunday half of that should have been thrown away, it was all fat. Thogh I have to say fat does give a great flavoe when cooking, so I threw it away afterwards.
Ditto--lamb is so expensive here, I rarely buy it. Even if you buy a lamb and have it butchered, it runs about 8 lb/#, whereas beef is around $3.29/lb cut and wrapped if you buy a side. "This woman" is not rich.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
Wine Guy

Just the opposite here. We get a half lamb every spring from a guy in Wisconsin for (I think) $3.50 a pound. This year it came out to about half of what I paid for bulk grass-fed beef.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I am thinking I know what dish is next for the funny looking stove top slow cooker.

Thanks Harry.
pleasure frank,like i said to steve....easy one too,chop it,chuck it in,veg at the end......done!!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Ditto--lamb is so expensive here, I rarely buy it. Even if you buy a lamb and have it butchered, it runs about 8 lb/#, whereas beef is around $3.29/lb cut and wrapped if you buy a side. "This woman" is not rich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Just the opposite here. We get a half lamb every spring from a guy in Wisconsin for (I think) $3.50 a pound. This year it came out to about half of what I paid for bulk grass-fed beef.
that's interesting that "this woman's" lamb is the same price as your beef steve.over here british beef & lamb are similar prices in the shops too...even on our tiny island.but,like you,if i take a short drive to wales(not a short drive for you i know steve) & buy a butchered lamb or half lamb the savings are huge......so who is making the big profits eh? not the farmers for sure!
pork,even outdoor raised pork is relatively cheap over here,probably our cheapest meat,and i have made this tagine with pork shoulder....better than with lamb in some respects.....paprika & pork are lovers aren't they?
also made it with stewing steak....also good.
so,if lamb is prohibitive in cost why not try pork or beef....you won't regret it.
you've got hens & decorum cw..."this woman's" a millionaire!!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannahsmoker View Post
Man that sure looks scrumptious.

I guess it is time for me, in my elder age, to enter into a new realm of cooking and start using a tagine.

Thanks for posting it.
never too old savannah!!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #17
Head Chef

Are you in Anglesey Harry ?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

That looks quite nice
Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Are you in Anglesey Harry ?
no gravy.....i'm in stitches & a sling!! wish i was tho'....love the place....holy island/holyhead too
Old 08-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
That looks quite nice
quite? quite? clear off & come back with some superlatives young lady!!
morning cobber!!

Tags
lamb, recipe

Harry & Laila's lamb tagine i posted this a while ago in a today's menu thread & also food photo's.it was first cooked for me by laila who i met whilst on holiday in morocco a few years ago.she told me it is very common in north african & many other cuisines worldwide NOT to seal meat before cooking.the idea is that the long slow cooking allows the juices/flavour of the meat to mingle with the other ingredients & vice versa, whilst the tagine prevents drying out.she is moroccan & a superb cook so i didn't argue!!healthy too...no oil or fats used. THE INGREDIENTS FOR TWO a)1lb(400-450grms)lean leg/shoulder of lamb b)1 large onion c)garlic to taste...i used half a head as per photo...looks pretty too! d)large mild/medium chilli left whole...not a hot dish & the whole chilli adds flavour,but it's up to you...you know how hot you like it e)1 large red bell pepper f)aubergine...i used whole baby obbo's....large/cubed will do...you choose g)2 cinnamon sticks h)2tsps paprika i)1tbls clear honey j)juice of a lemon k)3ozs(75grms)whole blanched almonds l)16oz(400grms)can of cooked chickpeas m)2inch(5cm)piece of fresh ginger root n)1pint(0.5ltr)stock...i like chicken...your choice o)salt & ground black pepper...i use sea salt & costco coarse ground malabar...the malabar has a kick which compliments the mild chilli heat THE METHOD 1)cube the meat,chop the onion,crush the garlic(if not using half head).core & slice bell pepper,cube the aubergine(if not using baby)& rub with a little lemon juice to stop discolouring(or leave cubing til ready to add to dish),peel/grate ginger,drain chickpeas. 2)put all of the ingredients,apart from the chick peas,aubergines,almonds,salt & pepper,in the tagine base(or casserole/pan with a tight fitting lid),pour in stock,put on lid,bring to the boil then turn down heat to VERY GENTLE simmer. 3)simmer gently for 1.5/2.0 hrs.only take lid off to stir occasionally...the flavours in the steam!! 4)15-20mins before end of cooking time add aubergines,chick peas & almonds...put lid back on or leave lid off if too much liquid left..you decide 5)taste & season with salt & pepper 6)ENJOY! 3 stars 1 reviews