"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 11-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Venison out the whazoo!

My neighbor filled both of his deer tags in three days. He gave me the rib racks from one of them, and the front legs from both. I've got one shoulder clod in my smoker right now, that's been in there for almost 5 hours. I'm going to wrap it up and give it a couple hours in a slow oven to help tenderize it. I might even add some bacon to help keep it moist.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Nice neighbor! What plans do you have for the rest?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Lower legs can be made like lamb shanks. Specially if you cook them in a clay pot with some bacon on top of the shank. A lotta lower deer legs are wasted because people don't seem to want to be bothered cooking them the above mentioned way.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
OMG I am soooooooo jealous. I am still only at duck, dove, and rabbit hunting level. Haven't made it up to the big game yet. The thought of backstrap medallions sauteed in brown butter sauce makes me quiver. Please give details on how you smoked yer honch and include any pictures you may have taken. At least I can live vicariously through you!

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
My neighbor filled both of his deer tags in three days. He gave me the rib racks from one of them, and the front legs from both. I've got one shoulder clod in my smoker right now, that's been in there for almost 5 hours. I'm going to wrap it up and give it a couple hours in a slow oven to help tenderize it. I might even add some bacon to help keep it moist.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Master Chef

My husband says not to saw the bones into pieces, which would give the dish a nasty taste. Venison bones are not like beef or pork bones.

He also says to smoke ribs, legs and all...that's the best thing to do with them.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
Hi Constance, I am not a venison expert by any means but I would think that the marrow in the bones would be were all the flavor is. Is the marrow gamey and that is why?

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
My husband says not to saw the bones into pieces, which would give the dish a nasty taste. Venison bones are not like beef or pork bones.

He also says to smoke ribs, legs and all...that's the best thing to do with them.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
Master Chef

Yea, I'm jealous too... you just braggin now!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
Executive Chef

" Yea, I'm jealous too "

Me three! Do you ever make sausages with it, Allen?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
Master Chef

Ohhhh Loprraine... I'm thinking venison sausage gravy and some home made biscuits!!!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Cook View Post
Hi Constance, I am not a venison expert by any means but I would think that the marrow in the bones would be were all the flavor is. Is the marrow gamey and that is why? Jim
My husband has a lot of experience and gained wisdom from older hunters. They say the marrow is so gamey and nasty tasting that it will ruin the flavor of the meat you are cooking.

We have so many deer here that, while beautiful, they are a real nuisance. They ravage the farmers' crops and get out the highway, causing a LOT of accidents. We have 3 or 4 seasons here, and Kim gets tags for all of them. Bow hunting is allowed pretty much all winter, and farmers can kill deer on their own property without buying tags. I know one guy who's cornfield comes right up to the house, and he shoots them out his kitchen window.

I love the deer that visit me, and they know they are safe here, but I have no problem digging into a big plate of venison stew.

Tags
None