"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Creamy Chicken Poblano Soup

Creamy Chicken Poblano Soup

2 tbsp. oil or melted butter
1 medium yellow onion, chopped small
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup poblano chiles, chopped
1/2 cup tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped (or use another 1/2 cup poblanos)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. masa harina
4 cups chicken stock
1 25-oz. can hominy with liquid
1/2 cup half and half
3 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup baby spinach, chopped

Heat oil or butter in large saucepan. Add onion, carrot, celery and bell pepper, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper and sauté for a few minutes. Add garlic and stir till fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatillos, poblanos and bell pepper, along with chili powder and cumin.

Add flour and masa harina; cook and stir for a couple minutes, till it looks sticky. Add chicken stock, hominy with liquid and another pinch of salt; stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir chicken, half and half and spinach into soup. Cook till warmed through, about 10 minutes.

Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in cilantro and serve.

Servings: 8
17 carbs/serving based on a 10-oz. serving.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-05 20.23.07.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	25508

Old 10-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

GG! That looks delicious! C&P to my file.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh all my favorite flavors! C&P. Thanks, GG!
Old 10-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

Thanks so much for writing this up GG. It has all the ingredients I adore. Thanks especially for including the carb count also.
Copied and Pasted, to be used soon!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
Master Chef

PS One question GG... do you process the poblano chiles just like the bell pepper?

Old 10-09-2016, 05:10 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

You're welcome, all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
PS One question GG... do you process the poblano chiles just like the bell pepper?
Oops, I should have included that. Poblanos can be roasted, peeled and diced, or just diced. I tried them raw in a salad to see if the skin texture was objectionable and it was not.

If using Anaheim/Fresno/Hatch chiles, though, they should definitely be roasted and peeled first. The skins on those are tough and inedible.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I have everything I need already for next week's meals. I will make this next week end. I love poblanos and tomatillos. I can taste the soup already in my mind's taste buds. The added spinach, half and half, and hominy make it even more healthful and filling. I may cheat and use heavy cream in place of the half in half.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #8
Master Chef

Thanks for the added info GG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I have everything I need already for next week's meals. I will make this next week end. I love poblanos and tomatillos. I can taste the soup already in my mind's taste buds. The added spinach, half and half, and hominy make it even more healthful and filling. I may cheat and use heavy cream in place of the half in half.
I'll be doing the same Liz..I like the shelf stable heavy cream from TJ's in a carton, and it's surprisingly lower in carbs than light cream.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:39 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I don't care about carbs. I'm looking for the richness that fat adds.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:40 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Use whatever kind of dairy you like I generally use half and half because DH uses it in his coffee, so we always have it on hand.

Tags
chicken, cream, poblanos, recipe, soup, tomatillos

Creamy Chicken Poblano Soup [B]Creamy Chicken Poblano Soup[/B] 2 tbsp. oil or melted butter 1 medium yellow onion, chopped small 1 medium carrot, chopped 1 stalk celery, chopped 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped 2 large cloves garlic, minced 1/2 cup poblano chiles, chopped 1/2 cup tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped (or use another 1/2 cup poblanos) 2 tsp. ground cumin 1 tsp. chili powder 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour 2 tbsp. masa harina 4 cups chicken stock 1 25-oz. can hominy with liquid 1/2 cup half and half 3 cups chicken, cooked and cubed 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped 1 cup baby spinach, chopped Heat oil or butter in large saucepan. Add onion, carrot, celery and bell pepper, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper and sauté for a few minutes. Add garlic and stir till fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatillos, poblanos and bell pepper, along with chili powder and cumin. Add flour and masa harina; cook and stir for a couple minutes, till it looks sticky. Add chicken stock, hominy with liquid and another pinch of salt; stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir chicken, half and half and spinach into soup. Cook till warmed through, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in cilantro and serve. Servings: 8 17 carbs/serving based on a 10-oz. serving. [ATTACH]25508[/ATTACH] 3 stars 1 reviews