Creamy Potato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnieDrews

Senior Cook
I am posting the recipe in its original form, but I did tweak it to my liking.:chef:

My tweaks included: I used chicken broth instead of vegetable. I reduced the amount of onion to 1 cup. I stirred the parsley into the soup just before it was done instead of using it for garnish. I did not used green onion for garnish (thought it might mask the taste of the soup). I did have shredded cheddar cheese on hand to sprinkle on top of the hot soup. Served it with crusty bread. My sons loved it!

Creamy Potato Soup

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 large carrots, peeled, chopped
2 to 3 cups diced ham, about 1 pound
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
4 to 5 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup half-and-half or whole milk, more if needed to thin
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional
sliced green onions, for garnish, optional
shredded Cheddar cheese or Cheddar-Jack blend, for garnish, optional
Preparation:
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, and ham. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute longer. Add vegetable broth and water and potatoes; cover and cook for about 25 minutes, until potatoes are tender.

Whisk flour into the heavy cream until smooth; stir into the hot mixture. Stir in the half-and-half or milk.

Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired. Mash slightly to thicken and add more milk if needed.

Serve garnished with parsley, sliced green onions, or a little shredded cheese.

Serves 6.

I love soup! It's my favorite part of winter; I always have some in the making or in the fridge ready to be reheated. I'm definitely adding this to my list of ones to make soon.

Thanks all! I had to taste test and it turned out as good as the first time I made it! Came >thisclose< to overdoing on the parsley.:wacko:

Thanks all! I had to taste test and it turned out as good as the first time I made it! Came >thisclose< to overdoing on the parsley.:wacko:

It's hard to put too much parsley. A friend of mine once managed to put too much parsley in her potato salad and it still tasted fine. It was very green :LOL:

Sounds delicious. I'll try it someday and I'll be sure to tweak it as well because I love tweaking recipes. I tweaked my way to this not too long ago:

2 big potatoes (actually a big one and a med. one)
1 carrot
1 and 1/2 red onions
3 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cups water
1 and 1/2 cups milk or cream (which ever kind you prefer (I used skim))
good pinch cumin
1 teaspoon minced ginger (or maybe 2)
good pinch cayenne (optional but preferable) ;)
3 tablespoons paprika
2 or 3 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 scoop cream cheese

1. In medium saucepan on medium-low heat melt butter and sesame oil.
2. Add onions, carrot, potatoes, minced garlic, soy sauce, minced ginger and cook for 3 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add brown sugar, water, milk/cream and spices.
4. Simmer on medium heat for 45 minutes melting in the cream cheese near the end.
5. Use blender if desired.
6. Salt and pepper

This was pretty much all improvised and I'm kinda new, so I'm not sure how much of it is necessary for the flavor I got and how much of it isn't. Also you might want to add the milk/cream near the end because of it's volatility (duh!); but that's the way it was done originally up there and I didn't want to change anything. Good luck with it if anyone decides to try it out. Like I said I'll be sure to try yours Annie, I just gotta round up the ingredients and it'll take me a while to get around to it (cause I'm sort of a slouch at stuff) but I'll do it.

Anyway thanks for the recipe, enjoy this one (would REALLY apreciate some feedback)... OK thanks! Bye!

Last edited:
Bob-That is definitely an interesting blend of flavors...asian-inspired?! If I am able to try it sometime, I'll give feedback.

Thank you Annie and Taxlady (for the link)!! Sounds yummy!

I am posting the recipe in its original form, but I did tweak it to my liking.:chef:

My tweaks included: I used chicken broth instead of vegetable. I reduced the amount of onion to 1 cup. I stirred the parsley into the soup just before it was done instead of using it for garnish. I did not use green onion for garnish (thought it might mask the taste of the soup). I did have shredded cheddar cheese on hand to sprinkle on top of the hot soup. Served it with crusty bread. My sons loved it!

Creamy Potato Soup

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 large carrots, peeled, chopped
2 to 3 cups diced ham, about 1 pound
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
4 to 5 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup half-and-half or whole milk, more if needed to thin
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional
sliced green onions, for garnish, optional
shredded Cheddar cheese or Cheddar-Jack blend, for garnish, optional
Preparation:
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, and ham. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute longer. Add vegetable broth and water and potatoes; cover and cook for about 25 minutes, until potatoes are tender.

Whisk flour into the heavy cream until smooth; stir into the hot mixture. Stir in the half-and-half or milk.

Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired. Mash slightly to thicken and add more milk if needed.

Serve garnished with parsley, sliced green onions, or a little shredded cheese.

Serves 6.

I made a new version of this tonight. I wanted to lighten it up, calorie and fatwise so I used chopped smoked turkey and fat free half and half (substituted this for both the heavy cream and the milk). It turned out very well and I am pleased. It seems like something is missing, but I checked all the ingredients and they are there. I think is just the different flavor of the turkey instead of the ham. All-in-all...a good experiment.:chef:

I made a new version of this tonight. I wanted to lighten it up, calorie and fatwise so I used chopped smoked turkey and fat free half and half (substituted this for both the heavy cream and the milk). It turned out very well and I am pleased. It seems like something is missing, but I checked all the ingredients and they are there. I think is just the different flavor of the turkey instead of the ham. All-in-all...a good experiment.:chef:

Maybe a little nutmeg?:chef:

Made the soup today sans carrots cause Mrs. 40 C doesn't like cooked carrots. It's wonderful. Reminds me of my mom's potato soup from many many moons ago. I used an immersion blender for a few seconds to help thicken it a bit.

Made the soup today sans carrots cause Mrs. 40 C doesn't like cooked carrots. It's wonderful. Reminds me of my mom's potato soup from many many moons ago. I used an immersion blender for a few seconds to help thicken it a bit.

Glad to hear it was well received!

And, yes, cornbread would be good, wouldn't it Uncle Bob??

Back
Top Bottom