Easy leek and potato soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I got this recipe from Julia Child's The Way to Cook.

4 cups thinly sliced leek, only the white part
4 cups diced potatoes
6 cups of water
1 teaspoon salt

Put the prepared potatoes and leek in a large pot. Add the water and the salt. Bring it to a boil. Simmer covered for about 20 minutes, until vegis are cooked.

Puree it with an immersion blender or a food mill, or carefully in a blender.

Doesn't need any stock. A dollop of sour cream, when served, is nice, but not necessary.

Enjoy.

Wow. That's it? Sounds great, TL!
Yup. That's it. Who'd a thunk it was that easy. ;)

There is flavour in the leek and in the potato is kind of "delicate", so you don't really want to mask the flavour with stock.

And this stuff freezes well. That's way too much for just me and Stirling for one meal.

Love, love, love Potato and leek soup! For garnish, I sauté a 1/4 cup of the green part of the leeks in butter.

Last edited:
Love, love, love Potato and leek soup! For garnish, I sauté a 1/4 cup of the green part of the leeks in butter.
I'll have to give that a try.

I hate throwing away the green part of anything. I had to learn to throw away the green part of leek. :ermm: Until I did, I didn't much care for leek.

I'll have to give that a try.

I hate throwing away the green part of anything. I had to learn to throw away the green part of leek. :ermm: Until I did, I didn't much care for leek.

Just the light green, for the color, it gets too tough more than 2 inches above the white part.

Good one, Fi. A little texture and garnish would be nice.

Shrek said he hated potato and leek soup and I asked him why, because he couldn't taste the leeks. The only thing I changed was the sauteed leek garnish and now he loves it...it's true, you do eat with your eyes, first.

Back
Top Bottom