Need to jazz this up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I made a big pot of Robert Irvine's potato leek soup yesterday. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/potato-leek-soup-recipe/index.html

It was OK, but needs something. It's pretty bland. Oh, and I used 3 large leeks, not 8. This was the first time I've cooked with leeks. I froze most of it as a soup base. My thoughts would be to add mixed vegetables, cheese or sour cream, or bacon, or chopped shrimp. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
Saxophone???:)

Need more leeks. Bacon or ham would work, but then it would be potato and bacon soup with leeks. The trick is to get it leekier...:rolleyes:

I made a big pot of Robert Irvine's potato leek soup yesterday. Potato Leek Soup Recipe : Robert Irvine : Recipes : Food Network

It was OK, but needs something. It's pretty bland. This was the first time I've cooked with leeks. I froze most of it as a soup base. My thoughts would be to add mixed vegetables, cheese or sour cream, or bacon, or chopped shrimp. Any other ideas? Thanks!

The sour cream sounds good. It will add some tang. He doesn't have much in seasonings in it. I am not a fan of soups that don't have some protein in it. I like soups that are a complete meal. So the shrimp sounds good to me. But then I am a big fan of flavorful seafood. :angel:

That's just one more; How big of a ______ did they mean? Are you sure your three leeks were their eight leeks? ;)

My vote goes for bacon or ham. Or if you've got a smoked hock in your freezer you don't know what to do with...

Dawg, with leeks being the key to the soup (along with the potatoes) I wouldn't have skimped. I realize you had big leeks but I can't imagine your leeks were almost three times the size of the ones used in the recipe.

Yeah, leeks are pretty big anyway, but you only use the white part (at least in the recipes I've used them in). Leeks are pretty consistent sized around here.

:LOL: all! I'm baconizing and chiving, and cooked up some shrimp. Then I think I'll take a (fill in the blank). As I said, it's not a bad recipe, just needed something. I used some of the green leek parts too as I hate to waste all that stuff. Apparently more leeks next time!

Hmm. Thinking about it, I actually reduced the amounts of everything, including the potatoes. So everything should have been proportional.

Last edited:
I don't have much experience using leeks. Potato soup yes. With onions, yes. And I almost always sweat the onions in Bacon fat. You can toss the cooked cut up bacon in at the end or nibble as it simmers or make a BLT for lunch while supper cooks. Anyway you look at it, I vote Bacon.

Enough to enhance the flavor without overpower so as it's not Bacon soup, but still Potato Leek soup.

Other herbs you might include- not all at one time-- a sprig rosemary while it cooks, dill sprinkle on top when serving, some chile flakes, parsley, or a little sage or marjarom wheb the stock is added.

Some soups you just have to play with. It gets better with an overnight rest. When you warm it up, taste again.

If there still seems "something" is missing, try heating it with some added oregano. It works 9 times out of 10 for me.

Some soups you just have to play with. It gets better with an overnight rest. When you warm it up, taste again.

If there still seems "something" is missing, try heating it with some added oregano. It works 9 times out of 10 for me.

You know, you're right, Zhizara. DH liked it better today than last night. It's not bad, and makes a good base for other stuff.

And yes, PF, carmelizing would work too.

Last edited:
I've turned the leeks crispy in butter and crumbled them on top, too. Yum! Leeks are so delicate.

(writing this down). Crispy leeks in butter. :yum: Thanks PF!

Last edited:
I find that potato soup can really benefit from more salt than those of us watching our sodium intake might be comfortable with. I would add more salt otherwise ham or bacon which compliment potato soup IMO partly because they are salty ;)

i'm with pacnar and bunny. a meaty ham bone or ham hock would round it out.
shrimp, i think, would get lost in it. and bacon would take it over.

and a bit of k-l's oregano is a good idea, or maybe a little fresh thyme, keeping it simple.

Back
Top Bottom