"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 06-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you. Excellent pictorial.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
Thanks! Please tell us how it turned out!
I didn't in the end because I was invited out but I found som.e wild boar sausages in the freezer tonight so I think I'll try the recipe tomorrow. Watch this space.

Tags
casserole, cheese, lentils, recipe, sage, sausage

Lentil And Sausage Casserole Preheat oven to 400F. I use ovenproof ramekins for this recipe, because you'll want the sausages to nestle in with the lentils. Ingredients: 1 cup cooked lentils (or barley) 1 pound link sausages 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese Chopped red onion (about 2 tsp per ramekin) Garlic, minced or powder, to taste (2 pinches powder per ramekin) Sage to taste (about 1 tsp each ramekin) Cracked black pepper 1 large bay leaf 2 slices thick bacon, crumbled Directions: Boil the lentils or barley with the sage, cracked black pepper and a bay leaf. Remove the bay leaf after cooking. Drain. Chop the onion finely. While it is boiling, fry the bacon and drop the sausage links in boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes. When done, drain the sausage and pat dry. Crumble the bacon and add it, the garlic, and the onion to the drained lentils or barley in a bowl. Mix well. Cut the sausage links into 1/4" slices. Put the lentil or barley mix into each ramekin, and top this with the sausage slices. Bake the ramekins until the sausage turns brown, and turn off the oven. Sprinkle the cheese over each ramekin, and when the cheese melts, remove them from the oven. Let stand for about 5 minutes. This was one of my Mom's and my favorites, but it's probably one heck of an artery-clogger lol! 3 stars 1 reviews