"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Red face Ok to use a cast iron casserole in Crock Pot?

I'm planning on making a bread pudding recipe that suggests using a casserole or souffle dish inside the Crock Pot (w/a trivet and 3/4 C hot water in bottom of the ceramic dish that comes w/the Crock pot).

I haven't found too many ceramic casseroles that fit in my oval crockpot (Rival 6-qt. SmartPot), but today I found an adorable 2 qt. round Le Creuset french oven (cast iron/enamel)(on sale!) that fits well. Does anyone have experience w/this? Does the insert have to be ceramic or is the cast iron ok?

Old 09-21-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I think it will work fine. The enamel glaze on the LeCrueset is similar to ceramic. You are steaming the bread pudding in the LeC and it can easily stand up to the steam.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thx Andy. So, does it matter whether or not I use the LeC lid (under the Crock Pot lid)? I wasn't planning on it.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Because of the density of the cast-iron of the Le Creuset, you might want to add some time to your recipe or even begin the dish on HIGH to allow the container to heat up adequately. Don't think the lid is necessary, since the crockpot is already covered.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwarchitect
Thx Andy. So, does it matter whether or not I use the LeC lid (under the Crock Pot lid)? I wasn't planning on it.
Depends on whether the recipe called for a covered dish in the crock pot or not.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'm planning on making a bread pudding recipe that suggests using a casserole or souffle dish inside the Crock Pot (w/a trivet and 3/4 C hot water in bottom of the ceramic dish that comes w/the Crock pot).

I haven't found too many ceramic casseroles that fit in my oval crockpot (Rival 6-qt. SmartPot), but today I found an adorable 2 qt. round Le Creuset french oven (cast iron/enamel)(on sale!) that fits well. Does anyone have experience w/this? Does the insert have to be ceramic or is the cast iron ok?
Check the manual that came with the CP. Or, go to the Rival site and you can order an insert that will work with your model. I have a Rival programmable, and you cannot put a trivet in it. Nor, does the manufacturer sell/offer an insert for my model. I wouldn't put cast iron in a CP, just my opinion.

Here is a recipe where you don't need an insert:

http://baking.about.com/od/crockpotb...eadpudding.htm

Here's one I would make, if my CP allowed inserts:

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/slowcooke...ad-pudding.htm
Old 09-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

mish- actually, Rival's manual or website doesn't even mention using anything besides the ceramic insert that came w/the CP. I have a feeling its a liability issue, which is frustrating.

I'm thinking that maybe I could take the original insert out all together, put a trivet in there, put the uncovered Le Creuset pot in with the original Crock Pot lid on top of everything. Then I wouldn't risk cracking the original ceramic insert because of the trivet.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
mish- actually, Rival's manual or website doesn't even mention using anything besides the ceramic insert that came w/the CP. I have a feeling its a liability issue, which is frustrating.

I'm thinking that maybe I could take the original insert out all together, put a trivet in there, put the uncovered Le Creuset pot in with the original Crock Pot lid on top of everything. Then I wouldn't risk cracking the original ceramic insert because of the trivet.
Personally, I wouldn't do it. Not a liability issue... just using a cooking utensil as it was intended to be used. I don't use the CP very often (mostly for roasts), but would hate to ruin it with one recipe, where there are alternative cooking methods. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Head Chef

Wink

I have a 6 Quart Rival Programmable Crock Pot and I wouldn't put anything in it except for a receipe that calls for a Crock Pot.

That is my opinion - have a nice day.

Jill and Jolie
Old 09-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

SUCCESS! After extensive research in addition to the advice from you guys, I took the plunge and made the bread pudding in an 8 1/2" Luminarc casserole (like Pyrex but nicer), sitting on a cast iron trivet in 2 cups of water in the bottom of the original Crock Pot ceramic insert. The only cover was the glass Crock Pot lid. Nothing broke or cracked, and I was able to bring the DELICIOUS dessert (with a caramel-bourbon sauce) over to my sister-in-law's in the Luminarc, which made a more attractive presentation than the big clunky crock pot would have.

Some of the older cookbooks briefly describe this steaming technique, as if its used all the time, which I think it was before our lawsuit-happy mentality kicked in. I really do think this is a liability issue. As with everything, something could go wrong if you're not careful, and someone somewhere has made a profit off of it, at Crock Pot's expense.

Tags
None