"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 11-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
I seem to have missed the crescent rolls on Facebook.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Gos1JWIPHr...%2B140%2Bp.jpg

Old 11-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Why would anyone torment a crescent roll like that?

Old 11-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #13
Head Chef

KDJ - you say you have a love of Mediterranean cuisine. That's interesting! Although I live in UK my mother is Italian so I am very familiar with Italian cooking. I have childhood memories of her making pasta by not even using a bowl but piling up the flour directly on the formica table and working the eggs into the centre of that....then hanging the long noodles over the backs of chairs.

You will find some great recipes here - I hope you enjoy trying them out!
Old 11-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
Why would anyone torment a crescent roll like that?
Well, I will confess to making tomato roses for entertaining occasions...I rather like doing so (quite easy). Maybe it's not quite the same thing though.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Creative, did you make that? That's art, it's not the same thing! It's beautiful! I admit that newbies who post a gazillion times annoy me, so I'm sorry for doing the same - except I'd feel really rude if I didn't.

Creative, I am embarrassed to admit that I've never made my own pasta. Without getting too long-winded about it (I've actually given this quite a bit of thought over the past few years), I think it's because my French Canadian mother was a terrible (I mean really really horrible) cook, and we ate pasta a minimum of 6 times a week when I was young. Nothing was seasoned... usually just plain, undercooked Prince Spaghetti (Anthony!) with lukewarm Ragu straight out of the jar. I can't eat pasta. BUT, all the women on my dad's side were amazing cooks, and that's what led me to CIA. So there. Something good...
Old 11-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #16
Head Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDJ View Post
Creative, did you make that? That's art, it's not the same thing! It's beautiful! I admit that newbies who post a gazillion times annoy me, so I'm sorry for doing the same - except I'd feel really rude if I didn't.

Creative, I am embarrassed to admit that I've never made my own pasta. Without getting too long-winded about it (I've actually given this quite a bit of thought over the past few years), I think it's because my French Canadian mother was a terrible (I mean really really horrible) cook, and we ate pasta a minimum of 6 times a week when I was young. Nothing was seasoned... usually just plain, undercooked Prince Spaghetti (Anthony!) with lukewarm Ragu straight out of the jar. I can't eat pasta. BUT, all the women on my dad's side were amazing cooks, and that's what led me to CIA. So there. Something good...
I just googled a tomato rose image but they are very easy to make i.e. will look like that! Here is a link - over several pages but easy peasy

How to Make a Tomato Rose

Well I confess I have never made fresh pasta either or own a pasta making machine! You can buy good quality fresh pasta quite easily these days. Sad that you got put off it by your early experiences....which must mean you have never tried a good lasagna then? Missing out kid!

Oh, incidentally, re. being able to edit a post. I think we are allowed about 30 mins after a post is sent; after that the edit button disappears.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #17
Head Chef

Welcome KDJ, I like playing with food as you will see in my pic's & posts so come on in and enjoy. Oh, by the way I never made apple rose's!
Old 11-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDJ View Post
Hello Garlic -

Where are you in Virginia? I refer to myself as a perpetual tourist because for the last 12 years I have driven up and down Rte 360 from my house to the airport and back. That's it. Now I occasionally drive up 95 to our corporate office in Columbia, MD, but even then I'll fly if I can. It's quicker - even with the layover. The train is a nice option to get from here to Maryland - but the delays are enough to drive a man to drink. lol.

Where did you go in Turkey? Steve (the husband) studies Byzantine history, thus we were in Istanbul, and Sultanahmet specifically. The only problem was we went just a few months after losing Oliver, so we lasted only 5 days before throwing in the towel and coming home. Still, the change of scenery was good, and we developed a love for the area and the cuisine. We're going back in April. Can't wait.
I'm in the southeast corner, near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. I've been here 30 years now

Re: Turkey, I went on a 10-day vacation with my mom, aunt and uncle and some friends of theirs. We spent a couple days in Istanbul - we had a private guided tour of the city for our group - then flew to Izmir on the Mediterranean coast. If I remember right, our hotel in Istanbul was right across the street from the back of the Hagia Sophia mosque. It had previously been a house along the palace wall.

From Izmir, we drove to Kusadasi and visited Ephesus, an ancient Roman ruin. That was spectacular! We also visited a ceramic factory and a museum.

Then a van took us to Marmaris, where we rented a sailboat that came with a Turkish captain and we sailed along the coast for several days. We bought provisions at a local grocery store, so we had breakfast and lunch on the boat and dinner in a different town where we stayed in a marina each night.

It was a great trip. I didn't know all the details before we went - my mom and aunt arranged everything. I hope you have a good time when you go back.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I cannot eat macaroni and cheese by itself but it is nice as a side dish.
That tomato rose is gorgeous.
No worries about the newbie posts. You are doing good and responding.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

We're in a northern suburb near Lowell and the NH border.