"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2017, 12:05 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Trying to learn something about Asian seafood seasoning

Hi cooking people,

I've been to several Chinese/Asian(?) buffets over the years and especially like the "seafood delight" that they offer. They are certainly not all the same... the first one I enjoyed had fake crab, shrimp, mushrooms, water chestnuts, broccoli, and whatever else. Others have had the same or fewer items, the least of which had only the fake crab and shrimp. But they all seem to have had a similar seasoning flavor. Do any of you know what I'm referring to, and if so if it's possible to purchase at a supermarket like Walmart or Publix, or a specialty place, and what specifically to buy to get that flavor at home? I'm trying to get that flavor to make something with fake crab and mushrooms with a sauce to put over rice. Something not too high in fat, or sodium either if possible.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

David
Atlanta, GA USA

Old 03-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Master Chef

Look up Chinese white sauce

Old 03-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
Executive Chef

My husband likes things in the 'lobster sauce'.(lobsters are not an ingredient)
Here is a link to one such recipe.
Shrimp with Lobster Sauce - The Woks of Life
Old 03-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
Master Chef

Lobster sauce has ground pork in it and is popular at Chinese American places here but may not be the sauce in anything called "delights"
Old 03-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopeda View Post
Hi cooking people,

I've been to several Chinese/Asian(?) buffets over the years and especially like the "seafood delight" that they offer. They are certainly not all the same... the first one I enjoyed had fake crab, shrimp, mushrooms, water chestnuts, broccoli, and whatever else. Others have had the same or fewer items, the least of which had only the fake crab and shrimp. But they all seem to have had a similar seasoning flavor. Do any of you know what I'm referring to, and if so if it's possible to purchase at a supermarket like Walmart or Publix, or a specialty place, and what specifically to buy to get that flavor at home? I'm trying to get that flavor to make something with fake crab and mushrooms with a sauce to put over rice. Something not too high in fat, or sodium either if possible.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

David
Atlanta, GA USA
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lee-Kum-K...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 03-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
Head Chef

I'm thinking Ponzu Sauce (Japanese)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
My husband likes things in the 'lobster sauce'.
It has always amused me because Chinese lobster sauce is called that because of its typical Chinese application in being used to sauce lobster recipes. :)

That's not to say you can't use it in any recipe where you like the end result.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
Master Chef

If you just want a sauce, here's one of my favorites, but be careful because it is rather spicy!

Szechwan Chinese Cooking Sauce

Ingredients:

10 dried red chile pods
10 whole garlic cloves, peeled
1 Tbs hot chili oil
1 tsp sesame seeds
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 green chile, minced
1 stalk celery, minced
1 medium onion, minced
1 tsp tomato paste
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp black Chinese vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 pinch MSG (optional)
1 Tbs cornstarch

Instructions:

Boil the whole garlic cloves and the red chili pods in 1 cup of water for 5 minutes. Drain the water and set it aside. Grind the chili pods and garlic to a paste. Heat the hot chili oil in a wok. Add the ginger, chopped garlic, chopped green chiles and sesame seeds and stir-fry to infuse the oil. Add the celery and onion and stir-fry until the onion is translucent, but not browned.

Add the chili pod and garlic paste and continue to stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar and stir. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water drained from the boiled garlic and chili pods and add it to the wok. Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring constantly, then reduce the heat and simmer until it reaches the desired thickness.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:13 PM   #9
Master Chef

If you want a meal, try this:

Kung Pao Mahi-Mahi*

Ingredients:

2 Tbs peanut oil
4 dried red chiles, cracked
1 Tbs garlic, minced
Tbs grated ginger
1 tsp pepper
1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
1 lb mahi-mahi fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 Tbs cornstarch, dissolved in 4 Tbs water
2 scallions, white part only, thinly sliced
cup macadamia nuts, for garnish
cup unsweetened coconut flakes, for garnish

Marinade

1 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs rice Wine
1 egg, beaten
tsp salt

Sauce

2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs Lemon Extract
2 Tbs rice wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 cup vegetable broth

Instructions:

Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, cooking wine extract, egg and salt and pour it into a large zipper bag. Add the mahi-mahi to the bag, squeeze out all the air, and zip the bag closed. Marinate the mahi-mahi for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, lemon zest oil extract, rice wine vinegar, sugar and broth.

Remove the mahi-mahi from the marinade, pat it dry with paper towels and discard the marinade. Set up your mise-en-place with the peanut oil, the marinated mahi-mahi, chiles, garlic, ginger, pepper, bell pepper, and the corn starch slurry, in that order.

Heat the peanut oil to smoking in a wok over high heat and swirl to coat the sides. Add the mahi-mahi pieces to the wok and gently stir fry them until they are cooked through. Remove the mahi-mahi from the wok and set it aside. Add the chilies to the wok and quickly stir-fry them until they begin to darken. Add the garlic, ginger and pepper and continue to stir-fry them to infuse the oil. Add the bell pepper to the wok and stir-fry it until softened. Pour in the sauce and bring it to a boil, then add the cornstarch slurry and stir it until thickened. Reduce the heat to low, add the mahi-mahi and the scallion and simmer the sauce for 5 minutes. Place the Kung Pao mahi-mahi in a serving bowl and garnish with the macadamia nuts and coconut.

* You may substitute any firm white fleshed fish for the mahi-mahi
Old 03-30-2017, 11:23 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
It has always amused me because Chinese lobster sauce is called that because of its typical Chinese application in being used to sauce lobster recipes. :)

That's not to say you can't use it in any recipe where you like the end result.
Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions! I went to Publix and tried to find lobster sauce in the spices area, but couldn't find any. Then went back and asked the seafood guy but he didn't know anything about it, and it wasn't with any of the seafood seasonings in the seafood section either. I guess I'll Google it...

Thanks again!!!
David

Tags
food, seasoning, seafood, asian