Help! Urgent..cooking for six..chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd keep the salt low until the chili's been cooking for about 30 minutes, then taste to see if more needs to be added.

Another thing I would recommend is to saute chopped onion and garlic with the ground beef. I always do that when I make my chili. Sometimes, in addition to browned ground beef, I brown about 1 pound of beef cubes to give an additional texture to my chili.

Legs, just vizualize the proportions. Look at what you have and divide by 6. Does one serving look like enough for one? Say I'm making sausage & pepper pasta for 6. One person could eat 1 sausage, 1/2 pepper, 1/4-1/2 onion. Add in the sauce and pasta and there's enough for seconds.

You've got it pretty easy with the chili. Use what you have and taste as you go along to season. If it's too much, freeze the rest.

Are you going to serve it over rice? The rice would be good to have if you came up short.

Have fun!

guys the person who won the 07 world international chili competiion reccomended adding half spices then half spices 2 hours later..4 hours cook time.

hows that sound.

also, any more tips - and yes i threw in half ground beef half beef cubes

Be careful with the chipotles in adobo. I'd start small & add to taste. I cook with them quite a bit & learned early on that the smokiness packs quite a punch, to the point where it's very easy to end up with something that tastes too smoky, which can be very hard, if not impossible to fix.

Sounds good. I like my chili Gawd Awful Spicy. Know your guests tastes. If say 2 people don't like it too spicy, this would be a prime opportunity to score some brownie points:

Use 1/2 the spices at first like you stated and cook for 2 hrs. Remove 1/3 to another pot and leave that pot simmer. Spice up the original pot.

You're gonna' really have experience....

..after this. Next time, buy ground cumin, it's a great spice. You really need to get some masa flour and make a paste for thickening. For each pound of meat, I use 2T chili pdwr, 1 tsp. cumin, one med onion, two pods minced garlic, 1tsp. salt, 1 8oz. tomato sauce, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1 cup water, and cayenne pepper, 2 T. masa flour (make paste).
Tell us how it came out.

Back
Top Bottom