What goes with Chili?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like my chili over rice, and topped with sour cream, sliced spring onions, grated cheddar and (when I can get ripe ones) cubed Avocado.
This is exactly the way I like Chili, too. I don't remember when I started eating it with rice, but I would guess it was back when I had less money and trying to stretch meals. I still eat it this way, though.

This is exactly the way I like Chili, too. I don't remember when I started eating it with rice, but I would guess it was back when I had less money and trying to stretch meals. I still eat it this way, though.

It does seem to work well with rice.

I am going to murder any notion of tradition tomorrow when I turn it into a spicy version of Cottage Pie!! :ohmy: :LOL:

Anglo-Mex?

Last edited:
I will probably search online for a recipe that I think my husband will eat. PF suggested some tomatillo salsa. I don't know if that is hot. If it is, it will be a no no. He does not do hot!
I'm not really a serial user of packet mixes but I always use the Schwartz chili con carne mix which has cocoa in it. You can't actually taste it but it seems to add a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the finished article and try as I may I can't replicate it from scratch. (Perhaps better not to tell your DH given that he doesn't "do" chocolate:))

I often make white chili using leftover turkey. I add grated moz. cheese at the end, top with sliced green onions, fresh jalapeno peppers, sour cream, tortilla strips. I usually have habanaro (sp) sauce and a green Tabasco sauce available for those who want to up the heat. I roast the cumin and use fresh jalapeno peppers, roasted, in the chili.

I like "red" chili topped with a poached egg, some grated cheese, green onion, and jalapeno peppers.

I'm not really a serial user of packet mixes but I always use the Schwartz chili con carne mix which has cocoa in it. You can't actually taste it but it seems to add a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the finished article and try as I may I can't replicate it from scratch. (Perhaps better not to tell your DH given that he doesn't "do" chocolate:))

I don't think I would ever use packaged chili mix because I go very light on the spices in mine. The Rotel tomatoes add more than enough spice for us, along with a little chili powder.

On the public television channel they made "Mole Brownies." They used mexican chocolate and added some kind of hot pepper seasoning. They looked really good but I don't know if my immediate family would eat them. I know my extended family would!

Back
Top Bottom