"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-29-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Gas oven vs electric oven

I'm in the final stages of choosing a range for my new house. I am choosing between a gas range with a gas oven, or a gas range with an electric convection oven. Having never used a gas oven before, my inclination is to go with the electric convection oven. Of course, it'll cost more. Any advice and insight or comparisons?

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
Sous Chef

My opinion is a self-cleaning electric convection oven is the way to go. For one thing, the technology has been proven over a period of decades. Second, the temperature control is better in electric ovens.

Gas could be a better choice for you if you stick with the high end brands. Some of the best are self-cleaning. I'm talking pyrolytic cleaning here, not continuous self cleaning. Their thermostats are getting better and better at maintaining an even heat. The biggest advantage, depending on where you live, is that natural gas can be cheaper than electricity. If you bake a lot, it might make economic sense to go with gas.

The downside to gas ovens? The best gas ovens with self-cleaning and convection features will be EXPENSIVE. You'll pay a lot more for gas with these features over what it would cost if you went with electric.

There are also reports that the self-cleaning feature in gas ovens can be problematic. Some say the gas ovens don't handle the high temperatures of the self-cleaning cycle as well as the more mature technology of electric ovens.

Me? I like electric ovens. Much easier to clean up a major spill. Much less heat vented into the kitchen. Better temperature control so cakes and pastries come out better when using electricity to bake in an oven designed for home use.

Old 09-29-2004, 08:33 PM   #3
Master Chef

Ditto what Psiguyy said. I have to vote for self-cleaning electric convection ovens, too. My apartments just took out our gas stoves and replaced them with electric ... I HATE the electric stovetop but I do love the electric oven even if it isn't convection.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:39 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i prefer gas but that's just my opinion
Old 09-29-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I've cooked with both and self-cleaned both types. I'd say that, for home use, they're interchangeable.

I currently have a gas oven as part of a gas stove which cost me less than $1,000. The all electric version of the same stove was in the same price range.

As PSIguy stated, the current crop of gas ovens are accurate. Gas is much cheaper to operate.

If you choose high quality products, either should make you happy.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:01 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

gas or electric

Well electric is convenient. But if you like to bake gas is better natural gas contains a large amount of water. This means your breads and pastries will have more time to rise before the crust forms resulting in a lighter texture.
Self cleaning or not is another issue . I am used to cleaning my equipment so I don't mind a cleaning them myself.
Personally I like Jenn Air gas ranges with the modular stovetop grills.
Stainless looks nice but fingerprints show up very easily and so do scratches.
The other important feature is a great kitchen is hood vent with at least 400cfm of air removal ability.
:)
Old 09-29-2004, 11:19 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to pst1can
Gas Stoves vs Electric

We just moved into the city from an out lying area where when we first moved in we had electric. I hated it...after so many years in the restaurant business I am sold on gas. It heats up quicker...cools quicker and there has been many a power outage and we can still cook...just can't use the convection fan. I find the convection makes most baking and roasting very "even" so you are not spinning trays to change the hotspots. Love our gas range and cook and bake as often as possible because of it. Thanks Pst
Old 09-30-2004, 06:58 PM   #8
Senior Cook

i like to cook with gas on the stove top and bake with electric.

electric ovens have less extreme temperature spikes and gas oven generates a lot of moisture.

that's why we have a gas cooktop and electric ovens in our kitchen at home.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:22 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I'm with andy on this one. I prefer electric ovens. Dry heat is the way to go. You can always add moisture to an oven, but you can't elminate it from the home gas oven.

I think you also need to look at energy costs. In a lot of places, electricity is cheaper than gas, so if you live in one of those areas, no question. Get the electric oven.

Natural gas is not as cheap as it used to be and the experts are saying natural gas prices are going up to record levels this winter.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:48 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Just this. How many chefs or fry-cooks on TV, do you see using electric? Think about it. When I was learning to cook and bake, many long years ago, don't ask, my mother had electric. You had to be sure to remove the food from the hot burner to a cold one. Responce was slow. I know that electric has improved on that. I have had gas since day one of my marriage. We now live in (northern Florida) hurricane country (power outages) and I can use my burners, but my oven is electronically controlled. My "hold-out " daughter has just now converted to gas. I just found this out yesterday, and she just lives 6/10 of a mile from me. This is a result of power outages. Thanks to IVAN and JEANNE.