Help with 30" cooktop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mjsbth

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

Just purchased a house which has an old electric 30" cooktop. We are avid cookers and rely on gas stoves. Thus, we're in the process of picking out a 30" gas cooktop to replace the original. However, there is no hood ventilation, so we are debating whether or not to get a downdraft cooktop. I've heard the downdraft is basically worthless, but some ventilation, if effective, wold be good as the house has an open floor plan. I guess I have two questions:

1). Is a downdraft worth getting, or won't it make any meaningful difference?

2) any recommendations on 30" that has a good high heat and good low heat (that won't break the bank)

Thanks in advance!!

I have a dieappearing downdraft. In performance it amounts to a side draft. It pumps a lot of air and keeps the overhead pot rack from getting greasy. It replaced a normal downdraft, which did not do all that good a job.

Thanks. I guess what I'm asking is, considering I have no overhead or side air vent, will a downdraft one make a meaningful difference, or should I just go with a 5 burner with no downdraft?

Thanks. I guess what I'm asking is, considering I have no overhead or side air vent, will a downdraft one make a meaningful difference, or should I just go with a 5 burner with no downdraft?

Have your thought about an induction stove? From everything I've read about them, including customer satisfaction reviews, they appear to have all the advantages of gas, but are more effecient, and much easier to clean than either standard, or radiant electric, or gas cooktops. If I were in the market for a new cooktop, I'd seriously consider induction.

Just my two cents.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom