ISO rice cooker recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I’m looking for a simple, inexpensive rice cooker to make quinoa as well as different types of rice. I don’t need a unit that makes large portions because I’m only cooking for one or two people. I’ve read some online reviews but thought I would post here for suggestions.

If you are looking for a basic rice cooker you can't go wrong with an Aroma - it's a best seller on Amazon for $30. My daughter and SIL have one and are quite happy with it. It does a fine job with white rice.

If you are looking to do more with it you might want to consider a microprocessor controlled model. I have a Zojirushi NS-TSC10, which makes the best brown rice I have ever had, terrific risotto, and great porridge. It's four times the price of the Aroma, but it has never made anything other than perfect rice.

Here's a video comparing a basic Aroma with a pricey Zoji:
[FONT=&quot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8FkbFoRCzc[/FONT]

I have a basic Aroma rice cooker, suits my needs just fine, no bells and whistles. Good size for two people.

Last edited:
I have a Zo rice cooker, very similar looking to the one on the video, but paid under $100.
One feature I like is when doing sticky rice is it presoaks for about half hour before automatically turning on.

If you are looking for a basic rice cooker you can't go wrong with an Aroma - it's a best seller on Amazon for $30. My daughter and SIL have one and are quite happy with it. It does a fine job with white rice.

If you are looking to do more with it you might want to consider a microprocessor controlled model. I have a Zojirushi NS-TSC10, which makes the best brown rice I have ever had, terrific risotto, and great porridge. It's four times the price of the Aroma, but it has never made anything other than perfect rice.

Thanks for sharing the comparison video! The Aroma model in the video looks very different from the models sold on amazon. Which Aroma model does your daughter have?

Last edited:
We've talked about this before ;) It's easy to make rice in the microwave or on the stovetop.
My comment was in response to Powerplantop's suggestion to use an Instant Pot as a rice cooker, as they have a rice cooking function.

The OP is looking for a recommendation for a rice cooker. What rice cookers do you have experience with, and what kind of rice did you cook in them?

I just cook a classic white rice, then add stuff to it later..usually in a larger pan, a la fried rice..sometimes I will sub chicken broth for water and throw in some spices depending on what I am going to do..
And I find that Basmati works best as it doesn't get too mushy

My comment was in response to Powerplantop's suggestion to use an Instant Pot as a rice cooker, as they have a rice cooking function.

The OP is looking for a recommendation for a rice cooker. What rice cookers do you have experience with, and what kind of rice did you cook in them?

I guess I forgot what the original question was [emoji38] It's always good, when possible, to know more than one technique for accomplishing a kitchen task, though, don't you think?

I have been using a Sanyo rice cooker/slow cooker for about 5 years. Got it in a thrift store, as new and complete. 5 cup, works perfectly. I have been curious about Vitaclay cookers, but they are costy. Saw one today in a shop. Very nice looking cooker, but huge.

Bought the Vitaclay, 8 cup. Complete, $7.50+tax. I'll let you know what I think when I've tried it. I like the idea of a clay cooking vessel.

Back
Top Bottom