"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question ISO Stand mixer advice - don't want a lemon!

I am getting serious about buying a kithcen aid stand mixer, and I am curious if any of you guys have any experiance with proffesional 600, 6 qt line.I have read varried reveiws on these models.I want a machine that can handle double plus batches of pizza dough with ease.Any input would be great.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Master Chef

I've got a Pro-6, the model before they came out with the 600 series, and I've made double batches (2 loaves, 7 cups flour) of bread dough every week for about 4 years with no problem. I see no reason why it wouldn't work just as well making a double batch (2 pizzas - 7 cups flour) just as well.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Sous Chef

you want a very strong motor. some of the smaller units don't have that but i assume yours will.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

I have the Pro 600 6 quart mixer and I make 12 dozen chocolate chip cookie dough from creaming the butter to stirring in the chips and it is wonderful. I make huge batches of pizza dough, bread dough and batter for my large wedding cake layers. I have put that machine through everything and it is still amazing. You can't go wrong if you are planning heavy duty usage.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I also have this model, in fact I recently replaced an very old smaller kitchen aid. I use mine almost exclusively for bread and can make large heavy batches with no issue. Interestingly, it's not much larger than my old mixer on the counter - but handles 8 Cups of flour with no trouble. Mine is a color called caviar which is really black with a little sparkle added.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Smile Thanks for the input.

I really didd'nt think I could go wrong with 575watts of power, my main concern was with some of models shipping with a plastic gear cover that was prone to failure.I am glad that you are all happy with your machines as Im sure I will be.I do have one more question.As far as the bowl lift and the tilting head which one is better?It seems that the tilting head would give you more clearance when removing the bowl.What are the pros and cons of each style? Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I have seen a couple of posts on various forums about the KA motors burning out when mixing big batches of dough; but I'm pretty sure the situations were operator error.

The KA manual very clearly states that when mixing dough the speed should be set at #1 or #2 and "NEVER" any higher. I think some folks can't read and others don't read!!

Be sure to stay within the limits stated in the manual and you should never have a problem!!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Cook

With the number of KA Professional 600’s and its derivatives out there, a small number of them are certain to exhibit little yellow citrus tendencies. My older Professional 6 is still going strong after six years and if you follow the very good advice to limit your dough to 7-8 cups [1 kg or 35 oz] of flour chances are very good that yours will live a long life too.

If it does not, the K6 platform is the easiest mixer around to repair without sending it off to trained technician and parts are available all over the internet at reasonable prices.

For making bread, a lift bowl mixer is a lot more stable when kneading under load than a tilt head. To remove the bowl from a lift bowl the agitator has to be removed and dropped into the bowl before the bowl is lifted from its pins. It is a motion that becomes natural and normal after a few uses. I have a tilt head and a lift bowl and after using both for many years, I don’t really have a preference except that the big lift bowl always comes out for my heavy multigrain bread recipe because of its additional capacity.

The Professional 5 Plus and the Professional HD from Sam’s and Costco are near clones of the 600, but I feel the tubular bowl handle on the 600 vs. the less comfortable strap handle on the other two makes the 600 more desirable than either of the five quarts. It also has a rubber handle on bowl lift that is a nice touch as well as the slightly higher capacity bowl.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
Master Chef

The problems with the older gear box have supposedly been resolved. Whirlpool made some design changes after they bought the KA line from Hobart (cheaper parts) that didn't work as they expected and so, from what I have read, they have gone back to using sturdier parts. The new line should not have those problems if, as Randy said, you read and follow the instructions!

As for choosing between the Pro (bowl lift) and Artisan (tilt head) models ... I think it is really a matter of personal preference - although Jim may have something there about the stability when kneading a heavy load. The routine you have to follow to remove the beater before removing the bowl is no problem and comes second-nature after a couple of times.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Thanks for the input .I just needed some reassurance and ammunition because my wife is going to have a cow when one of these shows up on my door step.Sorry to make you guys my scape goats but you kind of did tell me to do it.