"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

NuWave vs. Flavor Wave

There are currently two 'wave' ovens that I see advertised frequently on TV. Does anyone know which is better Flavor Wave vs. Nu Wave. Are these even worth buying? Does anyone own either and do they perform as advertised; Are they really that easy to operate (one seems to have more buttons like a micro. and one seems to be a knob with a couple of keys to operate) and clean up, as well as being odorless, as advertised. I am very skeptical of products advertised on infomercials, because I suspect that a lot these products do not perform as miraculously as indicated. However, in the same theme of a toaster oven over a microwave, I would love to find an appliance I can use when cooking small portions or frozen products without having to clean three different pots and pans using a conventional cook top and oven, that doesn't leave food tasting like a microwave made meal. If no one can recommend one of these TV ovens, are there similar 'countertop' wave ovens sold at any appliance stores that anyone can recommend?

Thanks for any help!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal
There are currently two 'wave' ovens that I see advertised frequently on TV. Does anyone know which is better Flavor Wave vs. Nu Wave. Are these even worth buying? Does anyone own either and do they perform as advertised; Are they really that easy to operate (one seems to have more buttons like a micro. and one seems to be a knob with a couple of keys to operate) and clean up, as well as being odorless, as advertised. I am very skeptical of products advertised on infomercials, because I suspect that a lot these products do not perform as miraculously as indicated. However, in the same theme of a toaster oven over a microwave, I would love to find an appliance I can use when cooking small portions or frozen products without having to clean three different pots and pans using a conventional cook top and oven, that doesn't leave food tasting like a microwave made meal. If no one can recommend one of these TV ovens, are there similar 'countertop' wave ovens sold at any appliance stores that anyone can recommend?

Thanks for any help!

I own the Flavor Wave Convection Oven. The Nu Wave is pretty much the same. Maybe a few cosmetic details might set the two apart, but basically, things are the same between the two.

And it DOES cook real well and fast! Cleanup is a snap! Just put all parts except the power head in the dishwasher.

Yes, you're right! A lot of those products that you see on those infommercials often DON'T work like the manufacturer claims, so you must be very careful on the products that might catch your eye.

But this product does work.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks Corey123

Thanks Corey123 for the information and reply regarding your good experience with the Flavor Wave, it was reassuring. Now, I am just trying to figure out which to buy, The Flavor Wave or NuWave, maybe I should base it on how much of the "...but wait there's more" junk that comes with it!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
Executive Chef

You're welcome!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Executive Chef

McDougal, I saw the NuWave Convection Oven in an infommercial early this morning that aired on the Food Network. It sells for about $150.00 or less.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
I have the Flavorwave Deluxe

......for about 4 years now. It works great. I especially like cookings chicken parts in it. Comes out crispy like deep fried chicken....minus the grease!

I ordered it with the "Rush" delivery option and they made the mistake of sending me two.......one by rush maail and the other by standard. Only got charged for one

I gave the second one as a birthday present for someone and made them a happy camper
Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I had been thinking of getting an roaster oven but decided againts it as whats the point if it doesnt really roast.So I did all my homework yesterday and settled on the Nu-Wave Pro.After reading all the reviews on all the NuWaves and Flavor Waves on Amazon I decided to get this one as its the biggest one you are supposed to be able to cook a 16 # Turkey.Including the Nu-Wave I got 2 extender rings,oven mitts 2 cookbooks or really just brochures,tongs and poultry shears.All for $139.99 plus free shipping plus no tax since its out of state I figured that was a great deal.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post

Thanks for any help!
I own the Nuwave Pro Infrared Oven and can tell you that it is superior to the Flavorwave Deluxe because of the way it produces the Far Infrared for cooking. The Flavorwave Deluxe lights up by using a halogen bulb (glass in a cooking area - not good) and because it lights up, you know you are getting near infrared and not Far Infrared. It is the Far Infrared that is much more efficient for cooking and what professional chefs use (check out professional infrared ovens on the web). Check out reveiws of both ovens on the web, the people who have had there Flavorwave Deluxe ovens have flare ups or melt downs. That doesn't happen with the Nuwave because it produces the heat and the infrared with a sheath heater coated with a ceramic emitter. It won't break like glass and it won't flare up like the halogen which burns at 1,600 degrees F (you don't need all of that heat). Check out the two cooking charts available on their respective web sites and you will see that the Nuwave Infrared Oven cooks faster than the Flavorwave Deluxe.

It has a smaller carbon footprint as well. You can save up to 85% of the energy use compared to a regular oven.

I hope that this information helps.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
Executive Chef

i just got a nuwave and Im quite pleased at how good it works it is fast it makes great ribs they way I like them crusty on the outside.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I use the Nu-Wave several times a week because it works fast and well. No defrosting or pre-heating, and I think it makes healthier food. Fat drips off. I don't use the dishwasher because it would trake too much room, but it's easy to clean in the sink.