"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclements View Post

Poppi G. Koullias - The Waring blenders are very good, but they come at a cost! My target market are those with quite a high disposable income, but Waring blenders cost roughly 300-400 in the UK! That's a tremendous amount of money to pay for a blender for the home don't you think?
No, I don't think. That Waring blender wil be good 20 years down the line, but where you came up with such high price I've no idea. Take a look at Amazon UK

Amazon.co.uk: Waring Blenders - Kitchen & Home

We have the Pro Classic, the green one.

Of course, you can always buy a Kenwood, like their BL335 very keenly priced here.

Kenwood BL335 Blender, 1 Litre, 350W: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

and I expect it would give very good service. It wil do all you would expect in scrunching down raw food. Just at a far lower price. Or there's Braun and Philips who make hand blenders, those "stick-types", also good value.

I acknowledge though, that paying out 130.00 is a lot for someone on a low income, but find a blender suitable for price and functionality like the above and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Maclements,
My blender is over 30 years old and works well. It's a Hamilton Beech, something like 16 speeds, has a glass carafe that tapers to the blade to drive the ingredients to the blade. It does a great job at blending items with the exception that sometimes an air bubble will develop around the blade assembly and I have to stop and break the bubble so the ingredients will continue to blend. I believe this is referred to as cavitation and is likely caused by blade design, but not sure. However, it doesn't really impact my enjoyment of my blender.
Two things I've noticed with newer blenders that I don't care for:
The wide base of the carafe seems like the ingredients wouldn't get driven directly to the blade assy and also the carafe is made of plastic. I do a lot of chile based sauces and wouldn't want a chile stained carafe.

HTH.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Poppi G. Koullias - Apologies, for some reason I thought we we're talking about Blentec! My mistake! The Waring blenders looks very good! Do you not have a problem that the mixture stays solid on top for a long period of time before it all mixed thoroughly? Research shows that when blending raw food for Raw food diets, the longer the blender takes to blend the ingredients, the more nutrients it loses due to exposure to Oxygen. Another issue I wish to look at!

Hammster - It looks like you agree with DaveSoMD! The old ones are the best! I do not like the idea of plastic jugs, I would like it to have a heat resistant glass not only for cleaning purposes, but for quality as well.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Hammster - It looks like you agree with DaveSoMD! The old ones are the best! I do not like the idea of plastic jugs, I would like it to have a heat resistant glass not only for cleaning purposes, but for quality as well.
I do feel the old ones seem to be better made and of higher quality. Not sure that glass necessarily makes for a better quality carafe, but it does have certain benefits that plastic doesn't.
Just so it doesn't get lost in all of this, the issue of cavitation should be addressed and I think you referred to it as well in your OP with your reference to shaking, rocking, etc the carafe during blending. That could also be an issue with the wide based carafes.

I don't find cleaning a pain with mine since the blade assy comes off of the carafe leaving a nice open hole at the bottom. Also, one can put hot, soapy water right into the carafe and run it on the blender to start the cleaning process. Then disassemble and finish washing/rinsing in the sink.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Poppi G. Koullias - Apologies, for some reason I thought we we're talking about Blentec! My mistake! The Waring blenders looks very good! Do you not have a problem that the mixture stays solid on top for a long period of time before it all mixed thoroughly? Research shows that when blending raw food for Raw food diets, the longer the blender takes to blend the ingredients, the more nutrients it loses due to exposure to Oxygen. Another issue I wish to look at
The mixture in question has always been fine with our Waring, but never mind about the confusion on your part. It's easily done. For a moment I thought I'd miss-read your price "300 - 400" to be US Dollars. If $$ were the case, as exchange rates go, more truth would've been spoken in jest.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:15 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I have my eye on the Vitamix TNC (Total Nutrition Centre): https://www.vitamix.co.uk/

Mainly I'd like to use it for health drinks.

Planning on getting one when I return to the U.K. The cost of buying one in Japan is scadalous!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Bore Da Macle, North or South?