Single cup coffee maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoracayB

Senior Cook
I'm looking for a single cup coffee maker.
B-B&B has a Kitchen Aid that doesn't take up much space
and I may be a fool for a brand name but KA usually makes good stuff.

Anyone have suggestions on other brands?

Thanks

I hate Keurig! It just makes a plain old cup of everyday coffee, which you can get out of any drip coffee maker. It doesn't even give you crema!

I have a Senseo espresso maker that uses biodegradable pods made of coffee filter material and a Nespresso espresso machine that uses biodegradable capsules. I also have a Krups dual brew machine that can do both drip coffee and espresso from your own ground coffee.

Last edited:
For several years now, I've used a Black & Decker 5 cup Coffee Maker to make 1 mug of black coffee, about 12 ounces. Works great, tastes great.

I don't like using a coffee maker for just a single cup of coffee. I might use a single serving coffee press if I'm in the mood for it. But in most instances when I do coffee just for myself I make cowboy coffee right in my coffee mug and just let the coarse grinds sink to the bottom of the mug. It works for me as I like my coffee black, no cream, no sugar...

Keurig user here. Serves my needs well, I'm not a frequent coffee drinker.

Last edited:
I own a Jerdon First Class 2-4 cup coffee maker. It says 2-4 cups, but I get just two twelve ounce mugs of coffee from it. Coffee "cups" are measured at just 6 oz. I think it's a hold over from the old British tea drinking days.

I don't own one of these, but if I was in the market for a single cup coffee maker, I would probably get an AeroPress. The local coffee roaster (that roasts and blends the best coffee I've had) carries and recommends them, and I read a great review in Business Week (of all places).

The Aerobie® AeroPress® Coffee Maker

Keurig might be convenient, but it just can't compare to fresh roasted quality whole bean coffee that is ground just before brewing. We've gone through a number of coffee pots, and in my opinion the coffee makes a lot more difference than the pot. I'm also sold on thermal carafes, as keeping the coffee on heat deteriorates the coffee rather quickly. Not an issue for a single cup, though.

I don't own one of these, but if I was in the market for a single cup coffee maker, I would probably get an AeroPress. The local coffee roaster (that roasts and blends the best coffee I've had) carries and recommends them, and I read a great review in Business Week (of all places).

The Aerobie® AeroPress® Coffee Maker

I just watched a Youtube video on the AeroPress. It seemed like a lot of work to produce a cup of coffee. Plus, there are several parts to this thing that need to be rinsed and cleaned after each use....

Another Keurig user here. As only a one or two cup a morning coffee drinker, it works perfectly for me. I buy dark roast and use the reusable cups. Once in a while I'll buy the beans and grind my own.

I don't own one of these, but if I was in the market for a single cup coffee maker, I would probably get an AeroPress.

There are pieces of this hanging around the Amoretti Test Kitchen, but I have never seen it assembled or used. Until you posted the link I didn't even know exactly what it was. Maybe some day I will hunt down all the pieces, assemble it and make some coffee.

I'm old school here.

Haven't been impressed with java I've had from those fancy new Keurig machines.

I tend to believe it's all about the Java used, the amount of java used, and the temperature of the water.

Here's my single cup set up and whole pot set up.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 155
I'm old school here.

Haven't been impressed with java I've had from those fancy new Keurig machines.

I tend to believe it's all about the Java used, the amount of java used, and the temperature of the water.

Here's my single cup set up and whole pot set up.

I use a similar setup, it consists of the old basket and pot from my defunct Mr. Coffee machine.

I've been meaning to buy a new coffee pot for the last several years and just haven't gotten around to it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

...Keurig might be convenient, but it just can't compare to fresh roasted quality whole bean coffee that is ground just before brewing...
I agree. Nothing like taking the lid off the grinder and inhaling before setting up the pot. I suppose if someone wants the convenience of a single-cup brewer, they usually* won't bother using a removable grounds holder for their Keurig. We order beans from a MA roaster in Orange. Fresh-roasted before they send it our way - I swear the bags of beans are warm when they are delivered! :LOL: The different varieties are wonderful, and deliciously different. Most are less than $10 a full pound. Quality and value - my idea of a deal.

I've been itching to do a BB&B run and buy myself a new toy. I think I'll keep that Aero-press in mind...

* Cheryl, we all know you're special. :)

Last edited:
I'm old school here...
Zagut, we still have Himself's old Coffee Cone from his college days...in the mid-1960s! It has saved us on a number of occasions, like when a coffee pot suddenly dies or the power goes out. Nothing like a hot cup of coffee when you have no power, thanks to a Coleman camp stove and the reliable coffee cone.

Besides, what's old is new again. "Pour-over" coffee is the new, hot trend. You've been trendy longer than any Hipster has been alive!

We have both a Cuisinart 12-cup and a Keurig. Mostly I grind beans and brew half a pot. When I'm feeling lazy, I use a K-cup as does SO.

Back
Top Bottom