"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Stick blenders

I think this is an appliance.... or a kitchen tool?

At any rate, I googled some searches on this site and can't come up with anything "new". I am looking for some advice on which model might be good today, because Amazon's reviews swing both ways for the three I am looking at; Braun, Cuisinart or Kitchen Aid. Maybe there isn't much difference from one to the other.
So last night I saw AB make up some mussels and use a stick blender to make a sauce for them. I immediately put this on my list of things to do, but I don't have a stick blender and don't want to dig out the "real" blender.... where ever it is
I read these can also be used (with attachments) to chop things, also, in lieu of a food processer? And to whisk things? Do they work well enough for those two things? I don't have a food processer or mixer and would like a nice muli-functional tool that might not do the job as intended, but well enough for what you are using, plus it takes up a lot less room.
I kinda had my eye on this one because you can mount it to the wall.
Amazon.com: Braun MR5550CA Multiquick Professional Hand Blender, White: Kitchen & Dining

What do you think?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You don't need to spend a lot to get a stick blender that works great. I bought a $20 Braun with the same attachments. The difference is it ha 200 watts of power vs the 400 this one has. With mine I can twist off the business end of the blender and toss it in the dishwasher. Very convenient.

I've never wished for more power. I use it mostly for pureeing soups and sauces right in the pot. I have never used the mini food processor attachment as I have a mini FP that's easier to use.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I read some reviews saying the 200w stick blender they had didn't work well on making milk shakes, so thought maybe the 400w one would, plus it's cheaper than some of the other 200w blenders with attachments.
I read your dishwasher comment in my search, a very big plus like you say, and this one comes apart for that.
Hmmm, maybe I would be better off buying a cheaper one and looking into a mini FP, I didn't know they had those, but I'd really like to only buy the one appliance. Food for thought though... Thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Sous Chef

My neighbor got me the cuisinart one with the attachments. I think i used the stick part once and the food processor part like a million times.

saves me a whole lot of time chopping garlic.

the only problem i dont like about the food processor part is that you can add anything while processing. but except for emultions thats not really an issue.

ill see if I can find a link to it for you.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Is the word Gadget a value judgement here?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The Braun model immersion blender in your Amazon link is one of the top rated of it's type. These types of blenders are not designed to take the place of a counter top blender, or food processer. IMO if you want an immersion blender buy one with out all of the attachments...later add a counter top blender or food processer (or both) to you inventory of small appliances....

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Good luck on your search. I don't think you can go wrong with Braun or Cuisinart.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
Master Chef

I have a Braun with attachments. I use the whisk attachment for whisking 6 eggs at a time. I used the blender attachment for pureeing cat food when I had to syringe feed a cat. Also have the chopper attachment which I haven't used yet.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the feedback on using it as a FP. You do mean you "can't" add anything, right?
I think the option of using it as a FP is mostly what is making me want to get one. I don't mind chopping garlic or onions, but the finer I chop them the harder it is, because they want to stick to the other side of the knife...

Edit; this was directed at GhettoKid.
Thanks for all the other replies.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Cuisinart - CSB-77

couldnt find it on amazon but Ive seen it at bed bath and beyond and some other stores