"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I would have assumed that the microwaves would kill the yeast.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbslicer View Post
I would have assumed that the microwaves would kill the yeast.
I think it just depends on the temperature it gets to.

My current microwave doesn't have "defrost" setting. It has "turbo defrost" which goes by weight and it goes at full power for some of the time.

A previous microwave with power settings 1-10 had instructions that said to use 3 for defrosting. If I were to try proofing in the microwave, I would set it for a few minutes at power level 3 and feel how warm the dough got. Then repeat until it got warm enough that I didn't want it warmer or it had risen sufficiently.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:39 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

When I want to make bread, the very first thing I do is turn the light on in the oven. By the time I have mixed and kneaded the dough enough, the oven is warm enough to put the dough in for it to proof. Of course you have to have an oven with a light to do this.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #14
Master Chef

I ussed to proof my bread dough in the microwave as my preferred method. But what I did was bring a shallow bowl of water to a boil in the microwave, then set the bowl that contained the dough on top of the bowl with the water, close the door, and let it all sit for 40 minutes or so. That worked great. The dough always rose perfectly.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I ussed to proof my bread dough in the microwave as my preferred method. But what I did was bring a shallow bowl of water to a boil in the microwave, then set the bowl that contained the dough on top of the bowl with the water, close the door, and let it all sit for 40 minutes or so. That worked great. The dough always rose perfectly.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That does sound like it would work well. How do you proof bread nowadays?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #16
Head Chef

I get great rises the old fashioned way, by putting the dough in a covered bowl on the countertop. Or, depending on what bread I'm making, the final rise is en couche or in a pan or baking sheet of some sort, but still on the countertop, covered with a damp towel. In the coldest part of the winter, I might do my rise here in my computer room, because it's warmer in here than anywhere else in the house.

Here is another trick which sounds interesting, but I haven't tried it: Proofing dough in your oven
Old 03-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I get great rises the old fashioned way, by putting the dough in a covered bowl on the countertop. Or, depending on what bread I'm making, the final rise is en couche or in a pan or baking sheet of some sort, but still on the countertop, covered with a damp towel. In the coldest part of the winter, I might do my rise here in my computer room, because it's warmer in here than anywhere else in the house.

Here is another trick which sounds interesting, but I haven't tried it: Proofing dough in your oven
Well, I don't get great rises unless it's summer. I have considered using Stirling's office. It has four or five computers running most of the time. It's warm enough that he leaves the window partly open almost all winter.