"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:34 PM   #21
Sous Chef

At this time of year, I always look for a special interest publication from Better Homes and Gardens -- "appetizers - your holiday entertaining made simple." I've picked it up on the newstand every year for the last 15 or so... always has some special ideas that are new to me.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #22
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Art culinaire

Published quarterly, it always has the cutting edge of cuisine, and is always the leader of the trends.

Not the best choice for the "at home" cook, but from a professional standpoint, it can not be beat. The pictures are inspiration enough!

http://www.getartc.com/

http://www.getartc.com/backissues.asp

Old 10-31-2006, 09:31 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We buy "La Cucina Italiana" every month. We would have liked to subscribe to them, but the postmen just leave oversized items that don't fit in individual boxes out in the open for anyone to grab in the front lobby, so we are afraid we would never see our delivered magazine unless we will wait for them on the day of delivery in front of the mail box...

It is a wonderful cooking magazine chockful of mouthwatering authentic Italian recipes along with good articles, beautiful pictures too. They may make an English version (I have an impression I saw them while I was working at Borders several years back), but Seven, as you are pretty good in Italian, you may be able to read the original version if you have a way to order them.

It looks like this

And this is their website (they have pages in English too)
Old 11-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I subscribe to far too many! Here is a list of the ones I can think of at the moment.
Fine Food-my favorite
Cooks Illustrated
Paula Deen
Rachael Ray
Kitchen & Cook
Cuisine at Home
Bon Apetit
Penzeys One
Old 11-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Ooooops - forgot Penzey's One. Love it!
Old 11-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Currently BonAppetit and Taste of Home. After 10 years, I'm not renewing my BonAppetit for the same reasons I have read above. I used to LOVE that mag but now flip through the mostly glossy ads and find nothing I want to cook. Taste of home was kind of "off" this Oct/Nov issue IMO . . . really strange stuff! I really enjoy the Paula Deen and Penzy's One mag and will probably order them.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Taste of Home
taste of home cooking for two
taste of home simple and delicious
taste of home light and tasty

great pictures, no advertising....always easy to cook, but they only come every other month.. and are pretty expensive
Old 11-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S
i had left out COOKs ILLUSTRATED which i also like, and seems everyone so far reads that one... it is a great magazine, and best of all, NO ADS!!
I have never heard of this magazine .. wonder if its available in Ontario.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:19 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

Some of mine--but I dont have a problem

Taste of home
Cooking for two
Cooking Light
Bon Appetite
Gourmet
Cook's Illustrated
Cook's country
Food & Wine
Southern Living
Old 11-17-2006, 10:27 AM   #30
Sous Chef

I currently subscribe to...

Fine Cooking (My favorite!)
Cooks Illustrated (Great experimenting)
Kitchen and Cook (Great all around, but kinda thin...)

I recently let my Eating Well subscription lapse, as the dishes started becomeing over-simplified, and the "health" articles started becoming a bit too earthy crunchy for me.

Bon Appetite & Gourmet I don't even consider to be magazines. They are more like expenisve books of advertisements. Those two must make a fortune between adverts and cover price! I usually pick up copies of other magazines too if something looks interesting. Scanning the mag-racks at Barnes & Noble is a sickness I have whenever I'm near one.

Cooks Illustrated has another publication almost identical but with big color photos and almost all homestyle dishes. Someone here mentioned it but I'm too lazy to search for it's name. I was going to subscribe to that one too, but I lost the card. No biggie, as I get enough junk in the mail as is... EDIT: Cook's Country

Oh, I'm also the type that tears mine to pieces. I read it once, then go back through and tear out everything worth saving. Otherwise I would have magazines out the whazoo (I get about 10 in every month for various hobbies). I keep multiple folders for each subject (cooking, flying, hiking, etc.).